Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need a little advice on chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Need a little advice on chlorine

I have been fighting algae. Right now the pool looks pretty good. It is 10:30 at night and the chlorine level is at 13 the CYA is at 30.

I added 5 gallons of pool store chlorine late this afternoon that got it to 13. According to the charts and calculators I need to add another gallon to get the level to 15 and see how that holds overnight. Is this correct? It sounds like an awful lot of chlorine.
    37000 gallon inground vinyl
    intelliflo 11018
    Pentair 80 sand filter
    3/4 booster with polaris 260

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need a little advice on chlorine

not for a pool your size!

3. Back To Top    #3

What are you saying Waterbear? Are you saying that 13 is okay for the shock or that I have done the calculator wrong and miscalculated the dose?
    intelliflo 11018
    Pentair 80 sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Never mind. I looked a little closer and realized that you meant that it is not too much chlorine.
    I sure do apreciate all the help I get from this web site. I have fought algae the whole time I have had this pool. I never seem to be able to keep chlorine in unless I add the liquid. I think the feeder must not work right. It looks like a fairly simple device and I have studied it. There is a stream of water that looks like it should dissolve the pucks from the bottom and let them feed down. I have it turned up full blast and I can see the stream of water when it is empty but I don't think I am using pucks fast enough and I never seem to have enough chlorine in the pool. Do these things malfunction? It doesn't appear to be leaking or anything. Is there some test I can run or some way to check it?
    intelliflo 11018
    Pentair 80 sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by sjoefl01
    It sounds like an awful lot of chlorine.
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    not for a pool your size!
    No, I am saying that adding an additional gallon is NOT a lot of chlorine to bring the level up 2 ppm in 37000 gallons!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by sjoefl01
    Do these things malfunction?
    All the time for some of the models out there. Which one do you have? If you have a Hayward CL200 series they are notorious for malfunctioning.

7. Back To Top    #7

It is a porpoise 232. It holds about 6 of those pucks. It is several weeks before it uses them all. I have been here for 3 summers and only bought chlorine about 4 times (big containers). I run the pump most of the time.
    It is a little difficult because I don't have anything to compare with except that most folks say they buy a lot more chlorine pucks than I do.

Last night I added the gallon which should have brought the pool to 15. This morning the chlorine was reading 13. All of the chlorine was free. The water is a little bit cloudy (very little). I had caught the algae in very early stage. I have been fighting this so long that I have gotten good at telling when it is about to turn green.
    intelliflo 11018
    Pentair 80 sand filter