Just got my Intex Ultra 16'x48," As I sit here...

Jun 22, 2013
Northern Indiana
watching it fill up. I wonder what chemicals Ill be buying tomorrow. I do have a TF-100 test kit I know nothing about yet. Hope I havnt totally screwed up not having them on hand before starting. I know I have really hard water and its full of minerals. I also plan on doing the BBB method so I know I will need those. Ill start running pump/filter once it gets to the full level. Worked so hard today. Im beat! And achey! Any advise until then is greatly appreciated. I will fix my signature and hopefully report back with some numbers tomorrow. Good night y'all.

Thanks'
Ryan G.

Thank you guys, I was more or less trying to relax. Busy, busy day yesterday and was afraid things would get away from me. At least I have some 8.25% bleach laying around.

Well here is my first TF-100 test kit results. If things look funny... please let me know, as I have no idea. :shock:

FC-0
CC-0
TA-200
CH- 170
CYA- 0
pH- 7.5

Pool calculator said 44oz. of 8.25% bleach. Added that.
TA I need to get some muratic acid.

I filled up from my well over night and when I woke up this morning, the water looks greenish brown. Will I be able to get it clear???
Pretty discouraging to look at right now. Still need to go somewhere and get a skimmer net and probably hardware store to get some muratic acid. But I will wait a few hours to take advice.

Thanks,
Ryan G.

Is it cloudy or clear (when I first fill for the season my water has a greenish tint, but it's clear, not cloudy).
You need to get some CYA in your water. And keep testing for chlorine and add if necessary. You don't want to give algae a chance to take hold. Get the chlorine in if necessary ASAP (like, before you leave the house this morning). Get some stabilizer (CYA), and then work on the rest. Do you have a cover on your pool? If not, put it on if you have one, especially while you have no CYA in the water.

Thanks GreatCanadian, didn't even think of that. So pool cover is on now. It seems clear but colored. I can still see the bottom, but barely. Will the chlorine raise CYA too? I thought I read that somewhere but cant find it right now. I suppose I also need a pool thermometer to help with accurate results. Any other recommendations before I head out? Gosh Im so tired and sore Im going to have to force myself out to the store. Haha, nothings ever finished.

No you don't need a thermometer for accurate results. You can get chlorine pucks (which add cya), but why not just pick up some stabilizer and regular unscented bleach (you can get both at walmart). You can use pool calculator to determine necessary amounts. May as well pick up some muriatic acid, that TA is high, and you'll need to get that down to 90 or lower or even a bit less. But you may as well keep the algae at bay, so get the CYA and chlorine in there. By the way, to add the CYA, put it in a sock, and hang it in front of a return.

What form of CYA should I buy? I mean the BBB method uses common household cleaners that are mostly cheap. Is CYA just plain pool stabilizer? No cheaper form to buy it? Just asking so I can keep it on the cheap side.
One more thing.... how often should I retest?
You guys are awesome!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IMHO... The best thing you can do to help that poor little Intex is to find a replacement pump/filter. The Intex 2650 gets pretty good reviews as well as those the replace it with hayward or Pentair standard AG set-ups.

I know it may not be fun to hear but I struggled with the Intex A-cartridges for years until I understood the importance of a good filter.

Does sand filter remove rust? Wouldn't mind hearing that except moneys tight right now. I do want a better pump/filter. This darn well water is just terrible. Looks like the creek down the street. Wish I would have thought to filter incoming water when I filled it.

Nothing really filters metals out of the water very well... and sand will have the hardest time. I think a sequestrant will help but I will let a metals expert fill you in on the details...I don't know metals well.

My sand filter did a reasonable job with the rust, not sure if it got it all out as I also used hth Metal Control, but my first backwash was very orange water. On initial fill, I added a bunch of bleach while filling and the water turned a lovely tea color but clear. The next day after it filled, I added the hth Metal control and was running the sand filter full time. Water was crystal clear about 8-10 hours later.

Hey thanks ill get some. After some mad searching my girlfriend found a video of a guy straining water through quilting material inside of a gallon water jug. Bunch of small holes in the bottom, and a rigged up shop vac input. I used a five gallon bucket with a locking lid (hole sawed for shop vac wand). Ripped up the inside of an old pillow and stuffed it in. Drilled about 20 some 1/4 holes in bottom of bucket.
Extended pump output hose with the shop vac hose and some Super 33 electrical tape to give me some extra length to lay the bucket down on its side on top of the pool ladder. Looks like a giant sprinkler. But I will try to find the HTH Metal Control to speed things up. I thought the pool would require some maintence but this is crazy!

A quick update. The filter idea worked great for the iron/rust and pool water is now starting to look really clear. Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and selflessness. Oh and I got some new test results.

FC-1 ppm
CC-.5 ppm, very faint tint.
TC- ?, Not sure how to get this number.
TA- 190
CH- 150, though I don't believe this matters much with an intex pool. Probably wont run this test again for a while.
CYA- 0, don't believe it has absorbed yet. Id better start squeezing that sock.
pH- 7.1

Regards,
Ryan G.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.