Rebuild Pentair Legend or Replace?

Do I rebuild or buy a new one?

• Total voters
Aug 8, 2013
Good morning TFP! Been reading more than posting. A lot of help on this site!

Well, I am in need of some advice. We currently have a Pentair Legend pressure side cleaner that was left by the previous owners. It has always worked so-so, but now it's performance is downright frustrating. After reading online, it looks like it is time for a rebuild (worn tires, low RPM, poor suction... etc..). It also looks like I need to replace the backup valve, a few swivels and install the correct hose from the backup valve into the manifold. The pool installer didn't use the clear, flexible hose.

Here's the issue. A rebuild kit is $214.00. The various hose parts total around $128 (or $185 for the new hose kit). So I'm looking at $342 in parts.

A new Polaris 280, which according to TFP threads is well built, is $404 on Amazon. I also don't mind upgrading (Polaris 480, 3900 Sport or Pentair Legend Platinum) as we have a lot of garden surrounding our pool.

So, do I rebuild or do I start fresh?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.