Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool modification

1. Back To Top    #1

pool modification

This may be an off the wall question but here goes. Our pool is big; too big. We inherited it when we bought the house. The amount of maint. and expense is not worth it for two people in New England.
    Is there any way to modify it to make it shorter/less deep? I know it sounds weird but the alternative is to destroy it and rebuild or turn it into a large flowerpot. PS I just put in 60 pounds of "stuff" to raise the hardness to the minimum level. Enough already!
    Cement pool 50,000 gals. nine foot deep at one end
    kidney shaped. Large DE filter and pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool modification

50000 gallons? Holy smokes. that's big....

Got any pics? We love pics. Can't help, maybe somebody will be along shortly to advise....sounds like an interesting thread.....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

It took 9 water trucks to fill it (guess what that cost). I have pics to send along later.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the pool old? is the surface in poor repair? I would probably deal with it until I needed to resurface it, and then do a major overhaul. Other than that I have no advice for you!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, I kinda' remember someone wanting to "raise the floor" in their pool to do away w/the deep end. In fact, DH & I wished we had thought of that before we replastered ours.

More folks will chime in before too long. This is a busy weekend for most so you will probably get lots more replies during the week days.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by The Mermaid Queen
    Is the pool old? is the surface in poor repair? I would probably deal with it until I needed to resurface it, and then do a major overhaul. Other than that I have no advice for you!
    The pool was built in the 60's but is in good shape. It is a Wagner pool which I am told is a top of the line in-ground pool. I am not impressed!

7. Back To Top    #7

Looking at Wagner's web site -- assuming it's the same company -- they are pushing the in-floor cleaning system. I don't know if that was invented yet in the 60's.... but would be a factor in raising the floor.

I don't see any problem with filling in a portion of the pool in depth, strip the plaster, extend the bottom drain up, throw in some properly compacted material, have them chip into the sides where the new bottom comes in so the new shotcrete does not feather out too thin, epoxy dowel some reinforcing bars in, shotcrete a new surface, plaster the whole thing and fill.

Still cheaper than a new pool -- but not free!

Making the pool smaller in perimeter is another story -- I wouldn't do it. It would be a mess with the plumbing and what do you do with the old walls? No good way to do this.

Steve
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

8. Back To Top    #8

I've changed pools both ways - to become less perimeter (more expensive) and shallower. If you'll tell me what you have and what you're looking to end up with - I can provide some info on what's involved Either way, you are looking at more $ than dumping $60 worth of chems in the pool!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    I've changed pools both ways - to become less perimeter (more expensive) and shallower. If you'll tell me what you have and what you're looking to end up with - I can provide some info on what's involved Either way, you are looking at more $ than dumping $60 worth of chems in the pool!
    Since it is kidney shaped and long; I would shorten it by about 10 feet and reduce the deep end to no more than 6ft. It's now 9ft. My guess is it's probably as expensive as putting in a new one.

10. Back To Top    #10

Here's what is probably a crazy idea: Build an island in the pool. Depending on the layout, this could cut the volume by 30% and shouldn't require as much effort as shrinking the perimeter. You could leave the inside open and use it as a swim up bar or fill it in and landscape it. It could look good and be fun.

Any thoughts if this is feasible?
    11x27 in ground, vinyl pool
    ~12,500 gal
    PAC FAB (Pentair) Pinnacle 3/4 hp pump
    Pentair 24 sq ft DE filter
    One skimmer, one return (no main drain)

11. Back To Top    #11

Adding an island is possible, as is shortening the length. Neither is a small change, you are talking serious money, but neither is going to cost as much as a new pool. Making a pool shallower is also possible and not as difficult as the island or perimeter change but again serious money. All three of these projects involve structural changes and new plaster, and most likely plumbing changes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Casey

Sorry.
    I'm trying to figure out how to send/post a picture(s)

14. Back To Top    #14

Use photobucket or imageshack.

I usually right click them, save as and then upload to imageshack.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

wow... 50k! I would love to see pics. If you want, email them to justin@durrantfamily.com and I will upload\post them for you.
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

16. Back To Top    #16

Here are the pics:

2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

17. Back To Top    #17

thank you for the help!