New build, Houston (Cypress), Tx

Looking good. Have you decided on a sealer? We are looking at 511 impregnator or porous plus and DuPont stonetech salt resistant sealer. Biggest concern with the DuPont is that it requires a 72 hour cure with no moisture...ok for first application but what about future years? This has me leaning towards 511. My PB mentioned glaze and seal brand but wasn't sure if they had a specific salt resistant product.

Our PB quoted the build with DuPont stonetech salt sealer. I had intended to use that each year and drop the pool level 6-8" to expose all the rock and seal it. I can probably get a 3-5 day clear window prior to the swim season to be able to do this.

markadamarnold said:
Looks super...can't wait to see the waterfall come along.
Thanks! You and me both! :cool:
The slide/waterfall is the bit I'm most concerned about aesthetically so I really want them to start it so I can confirm it's going to look like I hoped. We took the time to go through waterfalls/slides with our PB during the design process and after we signed the contract to ensure what we would be getting was along the lines of what we were expecting.

We've had a bit of a delay on our coping (I'm sure our PB said the waterfall could be done before/during the coping, but it hasn't) which has arrived today and is currently being put in the back yard. The bad news is this is probably the worst day we've had since the build started and it's looking pretty miserable and dark outside today (the rest of my yard will definitely benefit from some rain). So hopefully in the next couple of days I can post some pictures of the waterfall with rock on it!

So apart from the coping arriving, we've had no progress today. :(
It's so frustrating as we just want to swim and our 2 yr old keeps looking outside and pointing saying 'Daddy, pool?' (we've been telling him what it's going to be).
That being said, we're actually still on schedule, it just seems slow as we're a bit impatient and certain things appear to take a long time with not much progress. The stonework has taken quite a long time though. It's probably going to have taken 2 weeks all told.

The upside of the miserable weather that we've had today is that my grass and plants are all getting a well needed soaking. We replanted our front yard yesterday and worked until gone midnight to clear it all up and mulch it as the forecast for today was never great and I didn't want a muddy mess! Very happy with all the effort now.

cbink said:
So apart from the coping arriving, we've had no progress today. :(
It's so frustrating as we just want to swim and our 2 yr old keeps looking outside and pointing saying 'Daddy, pool?' (we've been telling him what it's going to be).
That being said, we're actually still on schedule, it just seems slow as we're a bit impatient and certain things appear to take a long time with not much progress. The stonework has taken quite a long time though. It's probably going to have taken 2 weeks all told.

The upside of the miserable weather that we've had today is that my grass and plants are all getting a well needed soaking. We replanted our front yard yesterday and worked until gone midnight to clear it all up and mulch it as the forecast for today was never great and I didn't want a muddy mess! Very happy with all the effort now.

I feel for you... our stone guys didn't show up last weekend and we failed our scheduled inspection today because they were not complete. They rolled up around 11am like it was no big deal. Sigh... my poor PB was calling them all weekend to find out why they were not at the project site as promised/scheduled.

Inspection is rescheduled for tomorrow and hopefully we can proceed with plaster. We still probably have another 4-5 days of stone/waterfall work to complete but if we can actually get water in the pool by Friday I will be happy.

Thanks guys! We just need to be more patient that's all.

sd_dave - Friday would be awesome for y'all to get water. I'm hoping we'll have water in ours by Friday 6th Sept. We've been warned though that because we're getting a stamped overlay, when it gets done (the overlay is getting done as the very last thing but the concrete pad will be poured hopefully this week) we won't be able to swim for a couple of days as we'll need to stay of the deck...!

TexSS said:
Tile and coping are supposed to be at my place today to finish decking and pool tile. Not sure if they are going to make it with the rain... Patience...
What is this 'patience' you speak of?! :mrgreen: It's hard isn't it? At least the weather looks a little better today and the crew were there when I left for work this morning so hopefully something will be happening today!

The thing I may regret is I'm having flagstone all the way around the outside of the deck as well as the coping of the pool. Given how long the stonework has been taking I may regret that decision! There's still a lot to do though, generally. The firepit needs stacked stone round it (this will get done after the deck is poured), the waterfall needs rock on it as it and the slide haven't been touched since gunite, the coping is starting today but none of it has been done yet and the pool needs the wet edge applying.

I'm beginning to rethink doing the landscaping ourselves. Well, only the digging of the beds actually. I think I will pay them to do that but do all the planting/mulching/tidying myself. We've bought some palm trees on sale already but went to a different place this past weekend to look at bigger palms. I think we're going to put in 2 fairly large pygmy date palms (large for pygmys - maybe 5 ft high or so) in the front planters and maybe a pindo in the back planter with two canary date palms in the back landscaping along with some queen palms.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So a decent amount of progress today. They have cut nearly all the coping but not fixed it yet, just dry placed it all. Hopefully the coping will be finished tomorrow and we can start on the waterfall.

We had a little panic (well my wife did) that the coping was too light (we want it to stand out from the decking) but it was just the dust from all the cutting and when it was cleaned up it looked great.

It was too dark by the time I thought to take pictures so I'll post them up tomorrow.

cbink said:
So a decent amount of progress today. They have cut nearly all the coping but not fixed it yet, just dry placed it all. Hopefully the coping will be finished tomorrow and we can start on the waterfall.

We had a little panic (well my wife did) that the coping was too light (we want it to stand out from the decking) but it was just the dust from all the cutting and when it was cleaned up it looked great.

It was too dark by the time I thought to take pictures so I'll post them up tomorrow.

Looking forward to the photo updates!

sd_dave said:
Looking great -- can't wait to see the waterfall. Are they planning on using any grout on the stacked stone or just the mortar foundation? I ask only because we got grout last night ... and were a little surprised at the finished look. (Required a conversation this morning with the PB) I'm taking a wait and see approach for the next day or so as I can see pros/cons to it either way.
So I got an answer to this today. The coping is all being grouted as I would have expected. The stacked stone only has the mortar foundation with a waterproof layer behind it. It's not being grouted. I'm happy, that's my preferred look for it I think. I wouldn't have been upset if it had been grouted but given the choice I prefer mine as it is without.

They've started the waterfall! Super excited. I've been waiting for them to start this for 3 weeks since they did the gunite. The waterfall/slide was something I really wanted so I'm eager to see how it looks (truth be told I'm also a bit nervous too as I have a predefined image of it and want it to live up to that). I'll post photos of it tonight.

(Working from home isn't turning out to be that productive today... Sssshh!)

Coping is done:

So a few photos of the waterfall progress so far.

Inside the cave. Cut out is a little beer/coffee shelf. There's also a light in there (not LED but will have colored covers for it)

It will start to look a bit more natural when they put the rest of the stone in. The inside of the cave looks a little 'blocky' right now as it just really stands out from the areas that aren't done.

Looks fantastic! You are going to have a bunch of stone to seal! I did 2-3 coats on mine in 6 hours and you look like you got a lot more. You will be happy I think with the Dupont. No water is getting to my stone! 2 months in and my pool is basically taking care of itself, so right now I am glad I went salt. Only thing I am wrestling with is PH. It goes up every day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.