Reno Question: Can we convert gunite to concrete?

Oct 7, 2011
We have a 20x40 IG pool, 4-8' with a diving well. It came with the house. The vinyl liner needed replaced in 2007 and that was big $. As I watched the men installing the new liner - I asked them how our pool was constructed: gunite shallow end, gunite floor in the diving well, metal walls (I think).

My personal preference if I were to build a new pool would be to have a concrete construction. It's my impression that the upkeep is less expensive (no rotating costs with buying liners).

I've seen a few new construction jobs posted on here where gunite is the material of choice - no liner! I've also seen several where concrete floor and metal walls are used, with a liner. I'll admit that I have no idea what materials are considered the best choice in pool construction and maintenance (cost, upkeep, safety, etc).

My question is: would we ever have a chance to ditch the vinyl liner? Is there a way we could reasonably convert our pool from gunite to concrete? Any idea of the work and cost associated for this? Most of the pool is already gunite.

Or...are we past the point of no return? Would the gunite be degraded and unusable? Would we basically be digging a new pool and starting over (no thanks!)?

Just curious.
Molly

Converting the pool would cost roughly as much as building a new pool from scratch.

Plaster tends to be more expensive in the long run. Not only does it usually cost quite a bit more up front, you have to re-plaster every decade or two, which is usually more expensive than replacing a liner (which is normally done only a little more frequently).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.