Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
FC=2
TC=3
PH=7.6
TA=100
CH=225
CYA=60

Just finished my second partial water change last night. I have clear water and a small amount of visible algae. I can deal with the algae now that my CYA is finally below 100. It's still too high but I'm done changing water for this season. I put 2 gallons of 12.5% bleach into the water last night just as a starting point. I checked it at lunch and noticed the decrease in chlorine and the algae. I added my last gallon of bleach to hold it until tonight when I can SLAM it.

The water changes and lot's of acid finally got the CYA, TA and CH down to reasonable numbers from where I was.

Is there an ideal TA and CH number just for vinyl pools?

In the past I kept it TA in the 120 - 150 range. I didn't check CH or CYA until I found this site so I don't have a history to fall back on.

I was considering a SWG, but for this year I'll probably just stick with 12.5% bleach. I have some cal hypo left over that I will save for emergencies. I'm considering adding Borax and salt to improve the water quality. The goal right now is to get the water quality as good as I can get it.

Now I just need to find somebody who wants the 100# of pucks that I can't use.

Okay, if you are going to use bleach then the tfp recommendation is 70-90 ppm for TA. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels

It is not imperative that you actively lower TA. I would recommend just keeping an eye on ph and when it gets up to 7.8 then lower it with Muriatic Acid back down to 7.2. This should slowly lower your TA as you continue to do this over a few cycles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.