Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is Normal acid add frequency with a SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

What is Normal acid add frequency with a SWG

It looks like I am adding 32-38oz of muratic acid (31% strength) every 4 days while using my autopilot SWG. Is this add a normal frequency and a normal amount?

This is my first full year with the SWG since I installed it at the end of the last season. I am attempting to follow waterbear's sticky on SWG water balance, adding acid at a pH of 7.8 to lower it 7.5 to 7.6 and then allowing it to drift up, but it looks like it drifts up 1 pH pt per day. Here are my present chemistry values as of today (6/11/08). Note I last added acid on 6/7/08 (32 oz):

FC 2.9ppm
    TC 3.0ppm
    pH 7.7
    TA 77ppm
    CYA 65ppm
    CH 310ppm
    water temp 88F
    salt at 3000ppm
    pool gets full sun all day (no shade)
    30,000 IG concrete pool
    Autopilot set at 55%, power level 2, and FC has been steady for last 3 days.
    Don SW Florida
    10,000 gal in ground concrete pool
    Pentair Cartridge filter, Pentair SWG, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump (11018)
    FAFCO solar panels w/Pentair SolarTouch controller
    using BBB for pool chemistry/Lamotte ColorQ tester for daily testing

2. Back To Top    #2
    That seems about right. I had to add a cup of acid every 2 days (my pool is much smaller).

3 weeks ago I decided to add borates to my pool and since then I haven't had to add a single drop of acid. The PH is rock solid at 7.4. For around 35$, my pool is trouble free and maintenance free.

Have a look at this sticky:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/sticky.php?s=4921
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    If I remember correctly, chem geek posts that, while borates slow the rate, the overall need for acid will remain the same.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

That's only true if there is no nascent algae growth and you therefore do not turn down your SWG on-time. Borates by themselves are an additional pH buffer so will let you add acid less frequently, but the total amount (per extended time period) is still the same. HOWEVER, if the borates are preventing algae growth that used to consume chlorine, then you will be able to turn down your SWG and that reduces aeration and pH rise and therefore total acid quantity as well, not just frequency of acid addition.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5
    Agreed, when it gets time to lower my PH, I'll probably have to add a lot more acid to lower it.

That being said, I'd rather pour a gallon or 2 once every 6 weeks (just a guess) than a cup every 2 days.

As it's stands now, I haven't had to add anything to my pool in the last 3 weeks. The SWG is working at 9% and my FC remains between 2.5 - 4 and my P.H. hasn't moved from 7.4
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)

6. Back To Top    #6
    I have to add about a pint a day to keep up, but I have new plaster this season, so hopefully that will slow down eventually.
    10k gal gunite inground w/ raised spa, waterfall, Hayward Super 2 1.5 HP 2 speed, Hayward 48 ft2 Pro Grid DE, Goldline PS-8 automation system, Goldline T-15 Salt Cell, Raypak 337k BTU LowNox Heater