Help Please Algae filters came but no test kit/5 more days!

Re: Help Please Algae filters came but no test kit/5 more da

Read what I wrote before, tabs are trichlor, adding CYA ... danger.

Read pool school again.

I meant you may not need the 870 very quickly, but it will be used eventually.

Ummm, just went out to pool. Water is crystal clear, all green looking algea has disappeared from where I brushed it to, down,to deep end close to the drains... Just going to leave it alone until Tuesday. My regular day to add chemicals was every Tuesday...

Understand, at this point I have briefly reviewed your method, not retained too much. I was referring to what I did ptior to finding there is a right way. Now I'm aware and am going to act accordingly. I was born and raised on Bainbridge Island,.Wa. Had a pool. Was a Junior Olympic swimmer, am a certified diver. I would rather be in water then on land. This is my first pool. It matters to me.

I would strongly suggest that you not put tabs/pucks in the skimmer basket. Tab and pucks in a skimmer will destroy the plumbing. The prior owners of my pool ruined one skimmer and I need to replace the entire plumbing for that skimmer since it doesn't work.

I understand that you really want to be proactive and start tackling the pool, but at this point, the best way for you to be proactive is to read and reread pool school. My head was swimming (pun intended) when I first joined this site. I now have a much better understanding on how to care for my pool. I have stopped wasting $ at the pool store since following the advice here and learning pool school. The pool store is like a drug dealer, they get you hooked so you spend a lot of money at their store on useless and expensive potions.

I still go my pool store to get some things, but I don't buy chemicals there (unless I'm out of DE or need calcium/hardness increaser).

One thing you can do while you wait for you test kit is get a better estimation on your volume. If you post dimensions and maybe a picture, we can help with that.

I just logged in thinking I need to figure out the volume. Thanks for all the help. I will post the measurements and pictures. I am planning to read everything over completly and I'm sure I'll have more questions. All I have done is brush the walls and I almost don't want to admit more, but okay, I put some liquid chlorine in. Bleach. That's it. Anything else can wait.

Typing on my phones a pain when I then see a typo!

Hi, can someone tell me please, I need to order the R0013 today, how long will the 2Oz replacement last? How often do I do that test and the other one I need to re-order, how quickly will I need it and how often, how much of it will I be using?

I also wasn't able to find my camera battery charger but I took pictures of the pool and will measure the sides for help on figuring out my totals. I will get that all posted tomorrow. Can anyone tell me how much bleach I should get upfront and anytging else I will absolutely want to have on hand. I have read over the pool school info but I'm the kind of person who is visual so right now it's still kind of Greek to me and I need help breaking it down one step at a time. I'm gonna try and figure out how to test the CYA first thing Tuesday evening when,my kit comes... Thanks in advance, I just hope I can figure this out. Chemistry is my worst....

Well the Taylor kits come with 1.5oz bottles and that is good for about 5 tests, so 2 oz should be enough for about 7 tests. The TF-100 comes with 8 oz, but the tube is a little larger so that is good for about 16 tests with the TF tube.

Generally good to check the CYA at least monthly ... more if you are using products that contain CYA.

Just get a lot of bleach ... you will use it all eventually. No way to know how much you need with no CYA number and no correct pool volume.

Okay, not to be stupid but, if I'm needing to slam my pool then how many tests for CYA and free chlorine will I need to do during the process. I don't want to start and not have enough of the things I need. I read about Slamming but I haveln't actually broken it down step by step, if I recall I just test once for the CYA when I start... Then how many more tests should I have supply.s on hand for that and the FC? I am going out now to measure the pool.

And, a lot of chlorine.... I'm gonna buy Bleach, your idea and my idea of alot could be totally different. And anything else I need. I'll go get dimensions... I read the directions on how to do the CYA test since the last post my k2600 test came UPS... Let me look at it again to tell you what I.m confused about. Does everyone get this confused at first??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The CYA does not change quickly, so once you get it initailly set (might take 3-4 tests), it will not change unless you adding more ... it will slowly drop due to splash out.

THe FAS-DPD test, when you start to SLAM, you could be testing hourly ... and since the FC will be higher than normal, it will require more drops. The K-2006 comes with 0.75 oz of R-0871, the TF-100 comes with 2 oz ... it is not uncommon for people like yourself that try to save money on the K-2006 to run out of R-0871 before they are done and have to spend more money. In fact, the TF-100 has the XL option with doubles the amount of R-0870 and R-0871 for people trying to clear a swamp so they do not run out.

Pretty normal for people to be confused ... once you get hands on, things are more clear.

Okay test kit is here, going out to measure pool dimensions... And on Bleach, a lot, again, 5 gallons to 20 gallons, a clue, I have to run to the store so I thought I would pick some up as it's 15 miles round trip...

Oh, just to make sure I understand, just fill the CYA as instructed and then when I pour it into the comparator tube until the little black spot disappears, that is how it measures your amount???

So, the way I figure it I need to get this, these should last me maybe even til opening next year??? 1 R-0013-2 CYA Reagent (for TF-100 and K-2006)
$7.50
1 R-0003 DPD #3 Reagent (for K-2006 or TF100)
$3.50
1 R-0871 (2 0z) Reagent for FAS/DPD Test
$9.95
Subtotal:
$20.95

I was going to do regular first class shipping... Thoughts suggestions?? And is that it on test reagents do you think???

For a 20k pool, one 121oz bottle of 8.25% bleach will add 4ppm of FC. So you would need between 3 - 10 bottles to reach shock level the first time (depends on your FC and CYA). And then you will need more to keep it there. So, 20 might be a good start, but you may need more in a few days.

You likely do not need more of the R-0003 that is used to test the CC and you only use 5 drops for each test. Certainly get the R-0013 (Why pay $7.50 for 4 oz when you can pay $8 for 8 oz? ... this reagent does not go bad) and the R-0871 (2oz should be good) and maybe the R-0870 (so you do not run out of powder, although you may not NEED this for awhile).

Thanks, that's what I wondered. Something I read said that it goes bad in a year so I didn't want to get too much of something that was going to go bad... Okay, well, based on my pool measurements it looks like I have less water then I thought. The first guy that came out told us 13K and it looks about right. I'm figuring 14K. The pool is only 25 ft long and it is weird shaped in that it isn't quite a kidney, kind of has an additional rounded area but since that takes up mostly the steps I just didn't calculate that area... The area from the longest width, not including the steps is about 11 ft. That's most of the total. There is a little area due to a curve that is probably 7 but since it's only about 1 ft long... So I took 25 ft by 11ft. Then the depth is 4.5 in the shallow end. This is about 1/3 of the pool, most of it is deep end and it is 6.5 ft. I measured that depth from the bottom of the pool to the top of the water line... So check me but I think around 14K is accurate. I did the CYA test and it's kind of tricky. The little black spot, I can see it better with my glasses on, off I would have stopped loading water. But best I can tell it looks like I am at 35.... So, now what, I will go look...

I have a lot of sun so should I go by my pool around 70?? And if I looked at the pool calculator correctly it says I need 65 oz by wieght or 68 by volume of stabilizer, or 170 oz of liquid stabalizer... ???? What now, test the FC, which looks a little confusing. May do in the AM. Have a head ache and I am going to lay on my air mattress for a while!!! :crazy:

Okay, I found 2.5 Gallons liquid chlorine at 10.5 by weight on sale for $395 a jug. Seems like a good deal. How many of these would I need??? And does anyone know if Costco in Arizona has liquid Chlorine... I guess I can call them...

Do not raise the CYA until you finish the SLAM process.

Yes Costco has 8.25% jugs of Clorox ... although it is not the best deal out there. The 10% at lowes or home depot is cheaper and the Walmart Great Value is cheaper yet and the Walmart HTH 10% is even cheaper, although they do not have any more by me.

The longer you wait, you are just letting the problems get worse.

Okay, now I am confused. I thought that hte CYA raising was a part of the Slam process... I am looking at the test for the FC and I don't understand it at all. How to do it and measure it according to the instruction on the kit and booklet... It's the K2600. I don't have as big of a problem and I am not waiting for anything other then to get the liquid chlorine and I don't want to run my pump 24x7 til the week end. It's too expensive. My water is crystal clear right now and I am not getting any new growth of algae, thee is just some still at the bottom of the pool.

You said you were at 35ppm for the CYA ... that is within range already for the SLAM process.

What are you confused about? Put 10ml of water in the tube. Add a heaping scoop of powder. Swirl and count the number of drops of R-0871 to make the water turn back to completely clear (last drop that does not change anything does not count). Divide the # of drops by 2 and that is FC.

Add 5 drops of R-0003 if it turns pink, add and count more drops of R-0871. Divide by 2, that is your CC.

extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

I just went to the extended test page. I was trying to figure out the 2ml and 5ml and what to put the water into and how much. I have the K2600 so I just have to find something that has a 10ml level to put water in... So, lets say I put in 3 drops and the last drop stays the same as the one before, I only count two of the drops?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.