Renovating backyard around existing pool

Hi everyone

So the wife and I have hired an interlocking company to entirely redo our backyard around our existing pool.

They will be leveling the entire yard and replacing all existing sod with either new sod or interlocking.

Question - what do we do with the pool? Do we leaving it running and vacuum/skim each night? Do we just shut off the pump during the day? Or do we install the winter cover? The "pool guy" says to leave it running and just vacuum/skim regularly as it will cost more money to clear the water after it goes green from not running.

The duration is expected to be 10-15 days.

Thanks for the feedback!

Definitely a question for the experts.

Unfortunately for you I am not an expert, but I can share with you how I handled a similar situation. I know I moved several tons (30+) of stone and topsoil in my pool area. I left it open, closing it off with the heat, the water not moving scared me more than the debris that would drop in. A lot of debris found its way into the pool. I was able to keep up with it. I tested the water super frequently, kept it dosed up ~ with a wee bit more just because the CYA has +/- 10 (I think) and it's a pretty subjective test to begin with. I tended the yard, but monitored the water like a maniac. I ran the vac every single night, sometimes morning and night ~ but it was manageable for me ~ even killing myself swinging the pick, offloading & getting everything just so.

I am sure someone in the know here will see this and give you an answer you can have confidence in. I personally am not a fan of still water and I think the repercussions from that, for us, would have been far worse than just keeping it open.

The still water is my fear too!

woodyp said:
Why not cover it and circulate it as well?

Are you saying with the winter cover or solar cover? Or just an average tarp? I was leaning that way with the winter cover; however as I'm new to pool ownership, I don't know how to instal it or if having that thick cover on it would cause it to still go green from excess heat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.