New 15 ft. popup pool owner, couple noob questions.

slowsl

Jul 11, 2013
Sorry to be one of "those" guys, but I have tried helping myself by researching a ton of forum posts and tutorials over a 4 day period, and I'm still somewhat lost. I've got a pretty good grip on what's needed however.....
Everything I read seems to contradict what something else says or what the labels on the chemicals say, the products/active ingredients, percentages are either not found at the stores or different from what is suggested. All I need is a clear clean pool that's not going to kill us :-D . Bare minimum and as cheap as possible.

Here is what I have.....
15' round popup pool, 3,800 gallons.
Cheap paper filter/pump system.
Cheap vacuum head that came with it, has no brushes, a somewhat coarse collector bag, and a 5/8" threaded port for a hose. It also came with a skimmer adapter to attach a hose, but did not come with a hose.
I bought a 3 way test kit to test total chlorine, total bromine, and ph.
Startup instructions came from my fiancee's Uncle who has owned a pool forever, read below for what I have done so far.

Day one, filled and added a conditioner for fixing the minerals from our hard water.

1.) Day two, pool water slightly green. Was told I needed to "shock" the water, but first a concentrated formula of an algecide, so that is exactly what I bought. I added the algecide, then I followed the instructions on the bottle of shock according to pool size, added about 25-30oz. of it. I'm not at home, so I don't have the labels here, so if anyone needs info from the label to better assist me, I will be home in a couple hours and will respond.

2.) Day three, pool water looked great, blue and clear. I tested the water and it showed 1ppm total chlorine, and 7.2ph. I added another 25-30oz. of shock that night. to try and raise chlorine. (after further research I now know that there is total chlorine, free, and combined). I'm not sure if total chlorine gives me a clear enough picture of whats going on as there is no way to tell how much free chlorine is in there).
I also added a CYA, granule in a small tub, maybe 1lb. I followed the instructions and added the recommended amount, which was probably about 1/2 of the container. (upon further research I now know that I will need to test for CYA in order to keep the chlorine in check)

3.) Day four, pool water still good, tested and had .5ppm total chlorine, 7.2ph. In order to boost, I put in the max recommended amount on the bottle, about 50oz that night.

4.) Day five, pool still good, tested and had 4ppm total chloring, and 7.2ph.

5.) Day six (today), will test when I get home. My fiancee picked up a 5 lb. tub of calcium hypochlorite, I believe 67%. Her uncle uses 3" tabs, however I've read that I would need a device for them, and tabs are not recommended for small pools. If my calculations are right, a 5lb. tub of it should last roughly a month, and cost $16 for the tub. Is this what I should be using as my daily maintenance in order to keep chlorine levels up? Is there something better/cheaper to use? I've read a lot of people use concentrated bleach, but is that cost effective at only 3-6%?
I have a bottle of regular algae preventer, but have not used it. Some say as long as chlorine levels don't get low, it's not required.

After further reading, here is what I think I need....
A free chlorine tester, and a cya tester. Any other tests that would be mandatory?
A better vacuum brush.
Can someone offer me some insight on the best/cheapest way of introducing chlorine? As of now, I only have a small amount of shock, and a 5lb. tub of calcium hypochlorite, should I take this back and get something better?

We have numerous pool places, also
menards, walmart lowes, big R, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-Mike

Welcome to TFP.

What does the water look like?

You should start by reading the Temporary Pool Guide and the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. That will give you an understanding of how to set up and properly manage your pool.

If you're going to use the Cal-Hypo you also need to be able to test the CH.
Since you have an OTO/pH kit I suggest the TF-50 test kit.

The best and cheapest way of chlorinating your pool is with bleach and by not adding all the algaecides, etc. to your pool.
At this point you probably have too much CYA in there but we'll know for sure when you get the good test kit.

Bama Rambler said:
Welcome to TFP.

What does the water look like?

You should start by reading the Temporary Pool Guide and the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. That will give you an understanding of how to set up and properly manage your pool.

If you're going to use the Cal-Hypo you also need to be able to test the CH.
Since you have an OTO/pH kit I suggest the TF-50 test kit.

The best and cheapest way of chlorinating your pool is with bleach and by not adding all the algaecides, etc. to your pool.
At this point you probably have too much CYA in there but we'll know for sure when you get the good test kit.

I've read so many guides, they all seem to differ in some way according to where/who it came from and what type of pool the info stems from, but I will re-read. I did read a lot of the pool_water_chemistry guide, before the pool was setup, so it's not fresh in my mind, will re-read.After 4-5 days of reading info, it all just kind of mushes together in my brain with no clear cut formula. I've basically learned about the dynamics of the chemicals working together (ie. cya in relation to chlorine break down), I get a lot of that, and I think I can maintain with a proper test kit, but the chemicals/brands that i should be using to be the best/cost effective way is what's giving me the biggest headache.

After the algecide and shock, I've maintained crystal clear and blue water. No slimy walls or anything. I've used the shock as the source of chlorine, however it was expensive and is running out. If I take back the cal-hyp and go with bleach, is it best to find it concentrated in the pool sections (have yet to find it anywhere), or just get the household version, like ultra bleach, about 6%? I'm not sure if the shock had CYA.... I bought a tub of that and put in the recommended amount shown on the tub, however it never explained the levels and what to expect it to get up to from the amount I put in. I guess the test kit will let me know.

Thanks for the info, do I seem to be on the right track?

If you read a lot of different advice at a lot of different places you just confuse yourself. It's best to stick with one method.

I promise you that if you'll stick with the method used here you will have a clear and sparkly, trouble free pool that's as inexpensive to operate as possible. We don't want you to put anything in your water that is doesn't need.

I would try to maintain the FC at about 8 ppm using bleach until you get a good test kit.
Most places are now selling 8.25% bleach. Just use that or 6% whichever you can find.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.