New pool, figuring out testing. PH/TA questions

bbeckmann

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
Hi all,

I've got a new IG gunite pool that's been operational for about 4 weeks. It's about 25,000 gal.

My plan all along has been to maintain my own pool since I'm able to deal with it daily instead of waiting for a visit from the pool guy. We've got a pool guy coming once a week as part of the build, so I've been trying to match up my chem readings with his.

I'm using the TF-100 test kit, and I can't seem to match up my PH and TA readings with the pool guy. Last monday, he said I had 90 TA, but when I did the test (multiple times, different parts of the pool), I keep getting 20-30. Also, my PH seems lower than his, but I'm just using the blue test kit, which I don't think is exact.

I'm *guessing* that he's right, and I'm wrong, but I want more proof. Is there another test I can use to verify? Is it possible I'm doing something wrong in my testing?

Thanks for any advice I can get!

-bobby

Test results as of about an hour:

FC: 3.5, CC: 0
TA: 30
CYA: Hard to say. I thought I could see that black dot the whole time, but at 20, it was hard to see.

Also, by the time Monday rolls around, Chlorine levels are < 1, and the pool guy dumps a bunch of chlorine, and I'm out of the pool for 8 hours every monday. That seems wrong to me.

PH (from the blue kit): Looks b/w 6.8 and 7.2, so I'm calling it 7.

I think you're both agreeing. :) I think Linen was meaning that we shouldn't assume that the pool guy was right.

I agree with both of you. I think Bobby's test is right, and I don't think the pool guys were. How's that for walking the fence? :mrgreen:

Bobby -- You'll do yourself a huge favor by taking over the maintenance of your pool yourself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.