Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on PSI Cartridge Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on PSI Cartridge Filter

I have a proline cartridge filter for an above ground pool. I have been running the filter for about six weeks now. The pool has 7600 gallons. This is all new to me. The PSI is at 12 is that okay? TIA
    AGP Vinly Liner 18 Ft Round
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2
    Every pump/filter set up can have differences; you should have made a note of the original PSI when it first began running. If the pressure goes up more than 5 it needs cleaning.

What does the water coming out of the return feel like? Do you have a steady flow? Does it feel weak or has it diminished?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Agree

These are the types of tips I wish I knew but being a newbie I did not note it. The flow is very strong though.
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4
    6 weeks is awhile....even tho the flow is still good. If you have been running your pump frequently, had a lot of debris/pollen/dust, etc., or vacumed, it can become pretty dirty. We have a cartridge filter, I would say we hose it off once a month (or more if the heater doesn't kick on it's usually from a dirty filter).

I would say, for fun, LOL, hose it off, and then make a note of your clean filter pressure....
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

5. Back To Top    #5

Next Step

Do i just unscrew the top, seems to be some type of release valve then remove top part of filter casing. I know enough to turn filter off.
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

6. Back To Top    #6
    I'm not sure, without knowing the exact filter or what it looks like....ours may be entirely different.

Any chance you can post a pic?

7. Back To Top    #7

Will do

I did not get any documentation with the filter, Thats why I ask. I tried google could not find much, Thks again
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm not sure if we have the same one, but I also have a Proline filter.

First thing to do after shutting of the pump, is to close your valves at the skimmer and return. That way you will not drain the pool.

Second, there is a plug at the bottom of the filter that needs to be removed. This will allow the water to drain out of the filter and pump.

There is a black ring around the middle of the filter that has 2 yellow handles on the underside. One of the handles will push up. Push it up while turning the ring. It may be difficult. I usually have to tap it with a wrench to get it to start turning.

Once you unscrew the ring, you will be able to grab the top by the handle and take it off.

Unscrew the knob on top of the cartridge and slide the cartridge off of the plastic thing (sorry, i don't know what it's called) in the center of the filter and hose it down.

Once you reassemble the filter, make sure the plug is back in the bottom. Open your return and skimmer valves and partially unscrew the little cap on top of the filter.

Turn the pump on and when water starts to come out of the top of the fllter, screw the cap back down and you are done.

Hope that helps.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks

Will give it a shot sounds you have the same one they way you describe it. I tried to post some pics but you the image size was too large. Thank you very much!
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Question on PSI Cartridge Filter

Well Thanks all. Nicole you were right on the money. It was pretty dirty from all the pollen hosed it off for a good 15 minutes. PSI pressure did not change though.
    Proline Cartridge Filter
    7600 gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Question on PSI Cartridge Filter

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonjohn1961
    Well Thanks all. Nicole you were right on the money. It was pretty dirty from all the pollen hosed it off for a good 15 minutes. PSI pressure did not change though.
    heheheheh

My filter sounds the same, and when I clean it, the pressure doesn't change either.

The only way I know my cartridge is "dirty" is when the heater stops working. It has a very sensitive pressure gauge and it won't kick in when the filter is dirty.