light blue cloud, looow FC

The OTO chlorine test does not bleach out, so if that's what you have in your old simple kit, that will verify whether your chlorine level is 0 or through the roof. I think the FAS-DPD test is good to at least 50PPM FC, so your levels would have to be pretty high indeed to not get a good reading.

Do you have any idea if you have any metals, such as iron or copper, in your pool? Did the pool store ever test for that? Ever use copper-based algaecides, for example?

It is also important to get a good estimate of your CYA level, as there's a big difference in shock level between 25 and 90 CYA, so that is important for shocking the pool.

allagash827 said:
Well for starters I have followed the advice and printed it out along with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and the Basic Pool Care Schedule. After the initial post I stopped adding huge amounts for a day or two, until my new tester arrived. Since it arrive I have been adding chlorine at a rate of almost 6-8.25% gallons per night. Only to be stopped by mosquitos and darkness. Really I did not disappear. Still I can not get the levels above .5 or up to 15 as suggested. My concern is that my pool has gone from cloudy blue to almost clear to now clear with a sudden greenish tint. Should I start adding chlorine to the tune of 10 or 15 gallons per night to bring up the levels? According to the calculator I only needed 240 oz or so to reach 15. I added 720 ounces and still didn't get a chlorine reading. I am trying to give this thing the time it needs. I just don't want to go overboard with more than the recommended dose suggested by the calculator. Is it possible to be adding too much chlorine?
No, you have not added added too much chlorine.You have gotten great advice :goodjob:

It does sound like you have ammonia or a really bad strain of algae. The CURE is, yes, the shock process in Pool School. Keep adding bleach/liquid chlorine and testing FC and adding/adjusting back to shock level until the FC starts holding.
You will see when that happens. Then, you can start testing FC and CC. But, you cannot ease up on it. You need to hammer it into submission :hammer:

Allagash,
It's great that you brought us up to date. Now we know what's going on specifically. Thanks.

I would concur with Soupy.

There might be metals in the water. However, not having experienced it, I understand it is often a clear green water.

Or if some form of chlorination was used that continually and regularly added CYA (stabilizer/conditioner), the CYA level may be too high to allow the Chlorine to function fully at standard and reasonable levels. That happens to many pool owners. It leads to algae and cloudy green water.

Or, though unlikely, you might have an ammonia problem, usually associated with a winter-covered pool containing significant debris.

Dying algae turns the water gradually towards cloudy gray and cloudy blue. Then the water clears as the filter removes the dead algae.

Yes, you're on the right track by using the shock process. Once you know what your actual CYA reading is, you'll be better able to judge the correct amount of bleach/chlorine. But you will continue to need to add quite a bit all day as long as your pool is not clearing up.

Keep going!

excellent. Thank you all for your patients. I have finally started to see a level appear on my test. Tonight I added 7 gallons before I got to an 8.5 chlorine level. Tomorrow I will continue as the night critters are enjoying my blood type. But before I stop I'll throw another calculator recommended 2 gallons in before I stop. That brings it to 9 gallons of 8.25% for tonight. I will recheck it again tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Have you added a metal out product yet? My water was greenish but clear when I started due to my well water and the sequestrant helped a lot. If your cc level is high you are fighting an algae problem and the shock process is the way to go.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Chlorine. And now we know what's causing the colors and the use of so much bleach... that's exactly what baquacil does when you are getting rid of it with bleach. If you want to have a little fun, read some of the baquacil to bleach conversion threads. You'll love the colors.

Never was a Baquacil pool. I mistakenly used a shock that was made for Baquacil pools in my chlorinated pool. I didn't realize that's what it was until I dumped it into my pool. Honestly I think the pool store tried to pass this stuff off onto chlorinated pool owners intentionally knowing it will cause problems in the pool. At any rate I'm the only one to blame.

I have a floater with a 3" tablets in the pool since friday and i just checked the chlorine

Fc:0.5ppm
Cc:0ppm
Ph:7.4
TA:90ppm
Cya:not sure doesn't show up on the test,but i put in 1lb of it
Do you guys recommend puting in another 3" tablet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Never was a Baquacil pool. I mistakenly used a shock that was made for Baquacil pools in my chlorinated pool. I didn't realize that's what it was until I dumped it into my pool. Honestly I think the pool store tried to pass this stuff off onto chlorinated pool owners intentionally knowing it will cause problems in the pool. At any rate I'm the only one to blame.
Oh, okay. I think that stuff is just hydrogen peroxide which will eat chlorine. So, it will take extra chlorine to overcome that addition.

Following the shock process in Pool School will cure the problem.

TCJ4 said:
I have a floater with a 3" tablets in the pool since friday and i just checked the chlorine

Fc:0.5ppm
Cc:0ppm
Ph:7.4
TA:90ppm
Cya:not sure doesn't show up on the test,but i put in 1lb of it
Do you guys recommend puting in another 3" tablet?

Have you not tested the water since Friday? or am I misunderstanding something here?

I suggest you follow the shock process in Pool School to a T! No more tabs, just bleach/liquid chlorine.

How much CYA did you add? Assume it is in there and adjust the shock level accordingly.

You have to raise the pool to shock level at least two times per day, morning and evening, to be at the minimal level of the shock process.

How many gallons is the pool?

How many trichlor tabs have you added?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.