Is this dead algae? Not filtering out. What 2 do? PICS

May 30, 2013
After shocking the swamp for 2 weeks at FC=34, I'm quite sure the algae is dead. Had to floc to get everything to fall and then I vacuumed to waste. Trouble is, I still have junk falling and collecting but no longer enough water to vacuum to waste again. When I tried vacuuming through filter, water got cloudy, and it was back again the next morning. So my big question is:

Is my sand filter supposed to catch dead algae? Is there something wrong the filter with it if it doesn't?

Possible solutions (and I would love opinions as to what YOU would do):

1. Buy a slimebag. (Would I need one on each of the 3 returns?)
2. Buy a stick vacuum or robotic cleaner? (do they filter that fine?)
3. Have water trucked in so that I can vac to waste?
4. Is there a fine particle filter I can put in the skimmer when I vacuum?

[attachment=0:1gpafyhb]photo 1-2.JPG[/attachment:1gpafyhb]
[attachment=1:1gpafyhb]photo 2-1.JPG[/attachment:1gpafyhb]

Attachments

• photo 2-1.JPG
    photo 2-1.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 228
  • photo 1-2.JPG
    photo 1-2.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 196
I have not, but am very suspicious of that too. I was all ready to take it apart this past weekend when I discovered the darned thing is not plumbed with unions and I would have to saw the pipes apart. I'm pretty handy, but not that handy.

Maybe it's time to call a pool company. I've got a little air leaking into the pump basket too. Ugggh.

It's pretty hard to tell but it looks like they are coming in from the pipe. I ran the hose over all of the suction side fittings while the pump was running. When the fitting just before the pump basket was covered with water the bubbles were substantially reduced. So I'm guessing that's where my bubble problem is.
Have checked and lubed the o-ring. Need to rewrap the plugs with teflon tape, but I doubt that's the problem.
I'm so mad at the dingbat that plumbed this pool with cemented fittings.

awindram said:
It's pretty hard to tell but it looks like they are coming in from the pipe. I ran the hose over all of the suction side fittings while the pump was running. When the fitting just before the pump basket was covered with water the bubbles were substantially reduced. So I'm guessing that's where my bubble problem is.
Have checked and lubed the o-ring. Need to rewrap the plugs with teflon tape, but I doubt that's the problem.
I'm so mad at the dingbat that plumbed this pool with cemented fittings.

A hacksaw, some unions, some primer, and some glue, and you're fixed up in a couple hours. Unless you know up front that you're mechanically declined. Then don't bother trying - call a plumber or a handyman. They're probably not as busy as pool guys this time of year.

Depending on what your replacing, redoing the piping isnt too bad. I just had my first experience doing that a few weeks ago - though I all I needed to do was replace a ball valve.

I spent more time worrying about it then it actually took to do!

awindram said:
I have not, but am very suspicious of that too. I was all ready to take it apart this past weekend when I discovered the darned thing is not plumbed with unions and I would have to saw the pipes apart. I'm pretty handy, but not that handy.

Maybe it's time to call a pool company. I've got a little air leaking into the pump basket too. Ugggh.

Don't call a pool store, they will rip you off and you CAN do this by yourself. Get some pvc cement, and some fittings (ball valves are expensive, but worth every penny.) make sure you seal up your return so no water leaves the pool in a hurry. I am not sure where you are at, but if you post your general location someone is likely to be able to assist. I am in Southern, NH and can plumb so if you are close PM me and we can make arrangements.

You NEED to know the size of your tubing and whether or not it is solid or flexible. This will make a difference in the fittings/valves you buy. Can you post a pic so we can see and offer advice? At the bottom of the post is an upload section, just make sure to reduce the size of your image or it may not upload. There are free programs out there that will reduce your image size.

BTW most times all you need to do is put something in front of the return and skimmer as the weight of the water will hold it in place. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.