Is it algea, metal, or me? Arrrrg!

PakiII

Jun 11, 2013
Intex unltraframe - 14' x 48"
1000 gph Krystal Clear pump w/Type A paper cartridges (Sorry, but can't find the hp)
Just learned the water company uses a well (booo!)
Temps normally between upper 80s and low 90s.
Pool is in full sun.

New to all this, so don't hate me when I write something asinine, please. : ) I've been reading posts here for the past few days, but none seem to address my problem, specifically, so if I missed something, please forgive me. Set up the pool and began filling with a water hose. Halfway through the fill, the water looked clear, but green. Has stayed clear consistently, but also consistently green. Used a 6-way test kit the first day and found that my chlorine was .5, CYA didn't even register, TA was at 300, and pH was between 7.6 and 7.8. As per Walmart "expert's" advice (ugggh, I know), we used pH Minus, and lowered TA to 220, and pH down to 7.5. We shocked the pool - again using "expert's" advice - with hth super shock. Nothing. And by the next afternoon, the chlorine was back down to 0. Also Used chlorine tabs, which did absolutely nothing, and there are gobs of reddish, dirt-looking junk in the filter every day when I change it. Three days after setup, we shocked again, but only slightly clearer, with reddish brown patches at bottom of pool. We vacuumed them, took a sample to Leslie's Pool Supply (don't hate) and these were the results:
FAC: 0
TAC: 0
CYA: 20
TA: 190
pH: 7.8
Copper: 1
Iron: 1 (she used test strips for both the iron and copper, and frankly, the copper didn't seem to register at all, and the iron look more like between 0 and 1, closer to the former.)
TDS: 400
Pho: 200

She suggested I use Metal Free, (7 ounces) and bring back a sample in 48 hours. I didn't use it, after reading all of the posts here, and tried filtering it to death, socks over the return, constant filter changes, sock in the skimmer, etc... Even though I continue to do this (five days now), it's not getting any clearer, though there is less sediment at the bottom of the pool, whether the pump is running or not. I leave it running continuously, though one night I turned it off to see if anything settled. It didn't. However, shortly after I turned the pump back on, settling began to occur. Weird. I finally broke down yesterday at sundown and added 7 ounces of the Metal Free. Still the exact same shade of green and almost nothing at all on the bottom of the pool. I've shocked a total of three times. Could there have been algae in the city water and I haven't shocked enough to remove it? Perhaps it's not metal, but dirt in the lines? I don't want to keep adding chemicals without knowing what the problem is. I'm worried about the chlorine and TA levels, but was told not to address those issues until the metal is removed. That makes no sense to me, as it seems the TA should be within range for the chlorine to hold, and as long as I have no chlorine I risk an algae attack.

I've shocked a total of three times
Not really. You haven't shocked at all yet, I don't think.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School, then read "How to Shock Your Pool".

You cannot manage your own water without doing your own accurate testing.

Thanks, Dave. So, do you think there was algae in the water I filled it with? That causes me a great deal of concern, as we use that water for bathing and cooking. I'm going to purchase one of the test kits you all have suggested on this site, and shock it using the method covered in "How to Shock Your Pool." Can I do that safely, though, since I added the Metal Free last night? Thanks again.

I'm gonna' change my advice just a bit. I don't think you need a new kit....not right now, anyway.

I would like for you to add roughly one quart of Clorox each evening to your pool...every evening for now.

Test your pH and your chlorine only, keeping your pH around 7.5 and keeping your chlorine around 3 ppm or so.

It sounds like you have a lot of iron in your pool water and it may be hard to deal with so let's not "fix" anything except those two items for now.

Keep vacuuming and filtering for the next few days and see if that dirt or iron doesn't stop. Are you on a municipal water system?

Dave, we are on a municipal system, but they do use a well. I've noticed my whites will sometimes turn rust colored, and if I run them again with bleach, they clear up. So, I think the system sometimes "burps" up iron, and unfortunately, might have done so while we were filling. Also, my filters are deep, solid rust colored by the end of each day. I'm swapping them out with clean ones daily, and washing the used ones. The filters easily wash out to bright white again, provided I don't let them dry before washing them.

Three questions:
Is it okay to start using other chemicals if I added the Metal Free last night?
And, the pH Minus says to wait until the next day to use chlorine, so I assume I use pH Minus tonight, then start the chlorine tomorrow, provided I get the pH down. Should I also get the TA down beforehand?

Thanks a bunch.

Thank you so much. Did what you said, and read just about everything on this site. Current metro water consistently tests at zero for metals, so I opted out of sequestration and filtered and vacuumed everything to death. Figured out my CYA (based on most common test result from pool store), then balanced, then shocked and filtered continuously until the pool was crystal clear and I stopped losing chlorine. Still waiting on my test kit, but in the meantime, I couldn't be more grateful for all I've learned here. BBB is working great for me, but I'm sure will be perfect once I can test accurately. We'll be getting a larger pool next year, since we know how to make things easy and inexpensive for ourselves now. Wish I had found this site before I filled my pool. Anyway, thanks again for everything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.