green, black brown, green pool...

topher

Jun 24, 2012
toronto, Ontario, Canada
I didn't have a winter cover for my pool.. (will be buying one this year) and my filter didn't work when the ice melted.
When I got a new filter (18" hayward pro sand filter 250lbs of sand) dumped some bleach actually about 10 ltrs. of 12%i n the pool, and started the filter, the pool went black within the next couple days. i figured the dirt and stuff on the bottom made it go black, so I used a leaf catcher and ran it around till I wasnt getting any more leafs and been vacumming almost every day. then it went a dark brown/orange color ( i have well water with high iron) last night it seemed to be clearing up.. just foggy, and put some CL in the pool (been keeping CL between 10-12ppm. adding before I leave for work, and when I get home.) anyways today I get home, and pool is a lovely lime green.. i'm starting to get depressed.. been fighting this for nearly 2 weeks now...

here were my numbers when I got home
TC 10
FC 4
CC 6?
PH 8
CYA 25? (could barely see dot at 30) added a few more drops and disapeared - also just added some more on friday. may not follow be showing yet.

after testing I added ~2L of MA, and 1.5L of 12% CL

basicly.. am I on the right track? I'm getting depressed, and thinking of just driving a car into the side of my pool or something.

That should bring your total CYA to around 40 ppm.

Now you must shock the pool correctly. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School and follow that article explicitly.

Your shock value with a CYA of 40 is 16 ppm FC. You must KEEP that much FC in your pool by constant replenishment until your pool is clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.