Weird union device and spa overflow question

Jun 16, 2013
Hello all. I am a newbie at this site. I have a fairly good technical knowledge of pool equipment. But I am stump on my issue and appreciate any help or suggestions. I have a weird union device on my return to spa. See attached. It is the one on the horizontal PVC. I am also having issues on my spa overflow. It seems that the overflow is less than normal. It used to be like a waterfall look. Now it is just a small flow. Here is what I have done so far. Clean my filter. PSI is about 22. Check for blockage and lube all diverters. Check impeller for blockage and lube rings on pump. Check for cracks on pump baskets. I have a feeling that union device has blockage. But I am not sure what it is for. Thanks for your advanced help

Attachments

• Union.jpg
    Union.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 42
A check valve only allows water to flow through in one direction. Without the check valve the spa would drain down to the level of the pool as soon as the pump turned off.

Check valves sometimes get debris stuck inside, which can prevent them from fully closing and allow the spa to drain down slowly. If you get open those unions you can look inside and see if the parts are intact and free of debris or not.

Thanks Charlie and JasonLion. I will try to get it the check valve open. It looks like all I need to do is unscrew both ends of the check valve and pull it out. I will then check for debris and hose it if needed. Will report what I find. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.