Is this how DE got in my pool?

lee872

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2012
Central Massachusetts
Last week I added DE to my sand filter, 3 cups raised pressure 1/2 pound, bit I was leery of adding more so I stopped there. Dissolved in bucket of pool water and poured into skimmer. DE somehow went into the pool. In the Aqaubot bag it was a thick gray paste. Vacuum to waste removed it, and pool is staying clean now. Did the DE get to the pool through the uncovered hole in the skimmer that goes I know not where? I like the clarity of the water with the DE added to filter, but I don't want to drain that much water from pool on a regular basis. This week it worked out well because we had 6" of rain, but hopefully that won't always be the case.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 107
Is the square hole for stickIng the end of a socket extension in, to remove it? I have a plugged hole In my skimmer that was just not used, so permanently plugged.

Maybe leaking multi port valve? Internally I mean...

I had the bottom portion of the multi-port valve replaced this year due to an eroded gasket (?) on the bottom. When I went to buy the gasket, the pool store told me it was not a gasket but part of the valve, so I had them replace that section. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of pumps and filters, can you explain how a leaky valve could cause the DE to go into the pool?

I put vaseline on my hand and held it in front of the return, and nothing stuck -- so I'm assuming the DE wasn't coming out of the return. Also, since it is not continuing to go into the pool, I'm thinking it got in while I was adding it through the skimmer. I haven't backwashed, and it doesn't seem like all 3 cups went into the pool.

Around here, we remove the plug with the "square" and put it in the line to the filter when we winterize in ground pools. This keeps the water out of the line to the filter and allows for the pool level to remain below the skimmer so they don't freeze. In the spring we reverse the procedure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.