Old Pool Return Jets

Jun 13, 2013
Hi everyone – long time lurker, first time poster here. I’ve learned everything I know about taking care of my pool from this site, but this is the first time I’ve needed to ask a question, so I created an account.

I have an old inground concrete and plaster pool. Kidney shape, around 23k gallons, if my math is right. It was built in 1978 (there is a plastic “Master Pools” shield logo plate built into the steps) and it still in decent shape. The coping, tile, and plaster are a little rough, but nothing worth spending XXXXX to remedy right now. It has a 250lb Jacuzzi sand filter. I’m not sure what the pump is, but it works just fine and hasn’t ever given me any trouble.

Here’s a picture from last year.
ZAqslMT.jpg
(not sure why it's not showing up, here's the link: http://imgur.com/ZAqslMT

This is my second year taking care of it. It’s been cold in Iowa this year, so I just opened my pool last weekend. I bought a safety mesh cover last year, which I learned poorly blocks sunlight. So right now I’m fighting the aftermath of the green swamp using BBB – I passed the OCLT and I’m just keeping it at shock levels while waiting for the water to clear.

I’ve added a little DE to the sand filter, to help things along. Getting clearer every day. However, I think I could speed the process a little if I could get the water moving better.

I’ve learned recently that I need a Skimmer Float Valve because my main drain is plumbed to my skimmer, rather than back to my pump. I went last year without it (I didn’t know it existed), but I think that if I can get more suction on my main drain then I can get better circulation, too. I’ve ordered that and I’m waiting for it to ship. I’m ordering a new weir, too, because mine is missing. Again, another thing I wasn’t really sure if I needed. When that gets here I’m sure that will help with circulation also. So far so good.

The problem I am having, though, since it’s an old pool, is that all the return fittings are missing, so the 2 returns just shoot water straight out into the pool. I would rather direct them to the sides to help get water moving in some of the dead spots.

The fittings are an old style and I’m not sure what to do. Instead of a standard threaded 1.5 inch hole, I have a smaller threaded hole (maybe 1.25 or even 1 inch) and then a spot that clearly should have an eyeball. Around the fitting is a circle indented area that has 4 small screw holes in it. As far as I can tell, it’s made to put in an eyeball, then a circle cover plate, and the screw it in.
I tried the standard 1.5 inch return jets, but those are too large to make it to the threads. They just float in the “eyeball” area and I can’t screw them in.

So my question is this: is there a conversion kit I can buy somewhere that will make it so I can use normal modern screw jets? Or is there a place I can buy old replacement parts like the eyeball and the outer ring? And what type of screws do I use that are pool safe? I’m leery of metal screws in the pool.

Please, TFP experts, help me out.

Thanks!

Mod Edit: The URL you put in the IMG tag must be to the actual picture and not a website containing the picture ... it must end in ".jpg" ... in your case I right clicked on the picture in the website and "copy image URL", jblizzle

After looking around, I couldn't find any PVC adapter that would screw into the current outlet without sticking out from the wall at least 5 inches, which made me nervous that they could get bumped by an overzealous cannonballer. So i kept looking.

I don't know if anyone else is/has struggled with this issue, but I ended up buying threaded inlet covers (hayward part sp1411) that I screwed on to the old fittings. Those threaded covers allowed me to screw standard 1.5" pool jets into the returns. So far it seems to be working okay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.