HELP PLEASE!! Edit: Pump Sucking Air!

Re: HELP PLEASE!!

Ok this is nuts. I started this shock last Saturday, brought it back up to shock level 3 times during the day and one final time around 10pm. Woke up in the morning to find 0 FC. Same thing Sunday, but added the last dose around 11pm, 0FC in the morning. Same thing Monday but added a bit more than the calculator suggested that night and found 1 FC tuesday morning. Last night for my final dose at 11pm I added just a bit more than the calculator suggested but this morning I found the FC at shock level. :shock:

The filter pressure only went up by about 2 PSI from clean pressure over night and visually the pool still looks the same as day 2 of the shock, just flat slate gray and about 2 inches if viability. I cleaned the filter anyway this morning and just gray water came out. Is this gray all dead algae? If so why is my filter PSI not increasing much at all? Did someone pour gray paint in my pool last summer? What is going on?

Edit: I did the FC test twice just now to confirm the results, almost 0 FC loss over night all the sudden but pool is still solid gray. I can take a pic and post it if it helps.

Edit Edit: I have brushed the pool for the past three days and using a net on a pole and the vacuum I can't find anything on the bottom since day 2.

I just scanned your thread and perhaps have an answer that makes sense......ammonia.

Assuming you had CYA when you closed last year, there is an over the winter process that CAN (not always) convert CYA to ammonia.

The result will be voracious consumption of chlorine until the ammonia is burnt out.

At that point, the chlorine consumption reduces rather dramatically but you still may need to continue the shock process to get the pool clear.

That seems to sound like your situation but, even if it is something else entirely, the answer remains the same.....continue to shock the pool until it is crystal clear.

So keep your FC at shock level, brush, vacuum as often as you can.......keep an eye on your filter psi and your pool will clear.......you may need some patience

duraleigh said:
I just scanned your thread and perhaps have an answer that makes sense......ammonia.

Assuming you had CYA when you closed last year, there is an over the winter process that CAN (not always) convert CYA to ammonia.

The result will be voracious consumption of chlorine until the ammonia is burnt out.

At that point, the chlorine consumption reduces rather dramatically but you still may need to continue the shock process to get the pool clear.

That seems to sound like your situation but, even if it is something else entirely, the answer remains the same.....continue to shock the pool until it is crystal clear.

So keep your FC at shock level, brush, vacuum as often as you can.......keep an eye on your filter psi and your pool will clear.......you may need some patience

Interesting, thanks for bringing that up. It lead me here: it-can-happen-to-anyone-zero-chlorine-cya-ammonia-t10974-20.html. My CYA was at 30 when it was last closed and it was gone when I started again. I am not burning chlorine as fast as he was "12.5ppm gone in an hour" and my water is no where close to clear, it's just flat gray BUT, when I first started shocking, I got a bunch of dead algae that was floating to the surface for the first day and packing up my filter like it should. Now nothing.

The filter's PSI was 12-13 when I went to sleep last night, this morning it was 12-13. I cleaned it anyway, put it back together 12-13. I just added chlorine and checked it again 12-13. The surface of the water is almost perfect, nothing on it at all, just gray with no visibility and nothing in the filter.

Maybe I am dealing with some sort of chemical and not algae? My CC was 5.5 yesterday, so I am killing something but I am not sure that it is alge any more because the filter doesn't seem to be doing much.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

The high CC do point to possible ammonia. It is possible you had algae and ammonia in the water at the start and now most of the algae is taken care of.

The solution either way is following the shock process.

jblizzle said:
mkdsk102 said:
I would have drained it, cleaned it then refilled it. :lol:

Did you factor in the cost of a new liner than would likely be required if you drain a non-temporary AG pool?

Or the electricity cost to run my pump and the hit on my well to refill 13500 gallons of water.

Pic for fun.

maGm1T2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

12:05AM update, storm hit, raining like a SOB, will need to drain water off in the morning:

Cleaned filter this morning and tonight, but no rise in PSI in either case.

Filter 12PSI, no increase since my 6pm cleaning

Just tested after a 6pm bleach bump back up to shock per calculator from 9-13. Added a bit more than require due to storm. So 6 hours since I bumped it by 4.5-5, overcast no sun/storm.

FC: 14
CC: 3

Added enough CYA today per the calc to get CYA up to 30 and shocked at that level all day. It all dissovled from the bag in front of the return feed in about 6 hours.

Brushed walls and floor, but didn't vac due to storm inbound. Ran out of time.

Will test again in the morning.

Will need to order refills for the FC drop test and CYA soon.

Well, we do know that with that CC level, there is a lot of shocking yet to be done. Hang in there man and it will come around. Six hours is fast for CYA to dissolve...are you sure it didn't escape the bag somehow?

Brushpup said:
Well, we do know that with that CC level, there is a lot of shocking yet to be done. Hang in there man and it will come around. Six hours is fast for CYA to dissolve...are you sure it didn't escape the bag somehow?

No holes in the bag but if it did find a way out, it's in the pool somewhere. I will test CYA again in a few days. For now all I can do is assume I am at my target of 30. Tested at 8:30 am, found the FC at 8 and bumped to 13. Water looks worse this morning, assuming due to storm.

Your last pic looks exactly like my water did. Same time frame too. Same tests results (high CC's, rapid Chlorine loss, apparent loss of CYA etc.) too. Notice I say "apparent" loss of CYA. Turns out that even though I could clearly see the dot with the tube filled there was still 20 to 30 ppm of CYA in the pool. After adding enough stabilizer to get to 40 ppm, subsequent testing reveals I'm sitting at 60 to 70 ppm of CYA. No big deal because I was gonna try a higher level this year anyways.

Took the better part of two weeks to clear. Took about 15 gallons of 12.5% bleach. I couldn't babysit it the first 4 days so after testing I went to just below mustard algae shock levels in the morning and evening.

You might find these tips useful:
Don't add any more CYA
Don't clean your filter till it's 20 to 25% over clean. Looks like that would be 15 to 16 psi in you case.
Keep filtering 24/7
And of course, keep the shocking process going.
Test your CYA again in about 5 days and see where you're at and adjust your shock levels.
If you happen to fall below 10 ppm at any point recheck your PH.

Don't forget to vacuum and brush.

Thanks for the encouragment. This is sort of turning into a personal log, feel free to ignore it :). I hit it again about 3 hours from my last post. Vacced the bottom, got a few skimmer fulls out of the bottom due to the storm, pine needles mostly. Stopped after I was pulling next to nothing out. That caused the filter pressure to hit 15, cleaned it, dropped to 12. FC was at 14 , don't understand why, I thought I bumped it just a little when I last added but maybe it misjudged, left it alone.

11:30 retested. FC 10.5 bumped to 14 (confirmed with test), target is 13 but my last doseing for tonight. Filter is back up to 13 PSI, will clean again in the morning.

Edit: I need to order more FC test reagents.

Burnsy said:
Edit: I need to order more FC test reagents.

Be glad you did not get the K-2006 or you would have ran out awhile ago. This is also why we try to recommend the XL option when you have the shock process to deal with.

Vacced pool again this morning, got a little over 1 skimmer basket out after about 35 min. Cleaned filter, tested water. Almost no FC lose over night again, CC down to 2. No visual change, ordered more reagents.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.