Neighbor and I share a well, but only my pool has stains

Jun 8, 2013
Hello - I am new to the group and have a question. I have a well. After having my liner changed I added both well water and city water to my pool to fill it quicker. I would say it is about half and half. As soon as it was filled, and I turned on the chlorinater, it turned brown. From past experience, I know that means metal. So i did what everyone recommends and removed the stain. Here is the issue. My neighbor and I share the well. He uses the well water to maintain and to fill his pool. No city water. He has no problem with staining at all! Is there any other factor that I am missing? I am spending a ton of money to keep my pool nice as I am putting it on the market.

Also, I have some old chlorine tabs that have been exposed to sun and heat. They smell very strong and I know are probably not as effective. Could these cause part of the problem? Thanks.

Either your neighbor is using sequestrant to bind the metals or they keep their chlorine too low. Tablets are good for years as long as they are kept dry, so that would not be the issue. The metals in the water react to the chlorine and cause the stains. You could always talk to your neighbor and see what they do that is different from what you do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.