6’ Springy vs 8’ Stiffy??... (Diving Board!)

Oct 26, 2017
Middletown ct
Need help deciding on a diving board. Finishing up construction soon.

• 18x36 Roman (so really 18x40)
  • 8 Ft deep (probably actually 7’6”-7’8” of water)

See print below. Fits the description of a Type-2 pool, which will allow me a 6-ft passive or active, or an 8-ft passive. Open to S.R. Smith or Interfab. Some random thoughts I have...

• Does my “Roman-end” slope seem to be the same as a normal rectangular pool’s would be?
  • Do I need 8-ft board to overcome this slope and depth?
  • Would a 6-ft look too small on this size pool?
  • Would the 8-ft stiffy have similar bounce to the 6-ft springy simply due to the adds length?

I have two small kids that will be the primary users for the foreseeable future. I feel confident that I can train them to be safe on either. (Perhaps when they become teenagers I will take board out or replace with dive platform)

It’s just difficult because there are no showrooms or way to have any idea what they are really like from looking online. Thanks!

9BB78413-0B00-4BB4-BC5A-2A3F44AA6F70.jpg

Ours is a stiff 8. But I only have one board so I can’t compare. However the focus should be 100% on safety. You have no margin for error at 8’ , the minimum required. Ours is 8 1/2 water depth and it’s not hard to get down there quick. Kids have friends and it’s hard to believe how big some young kids are. I don’t know what parents feed them! [emoji4] I vote for the one that provides the least fun. It will be fun regardless, I really vote for the safest. That and an umbrella insurance policy is a must.

Bumping this one time... I need to make this decision this weekend! Concrete going in soon!

Narrowed down to:

SR Smith Flyte Deck II with Fibre Dive board in 8 ft, or...

SR Smith Salt Pool Jump System with True Tread board in 6 ft.

Opinions welcome, thanks!

One other small aesthetic note is that a 6’ board on a 44’ long pool may look stubby. An 8’ board will offer a better visual proportion.

That said, my previous thoughts trump appearance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.