*6/11* COMPLETE BUILD Time Lapse* New Pool Build - Phoenix

JimboAZ

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 17, 2012
Maricopa, AZ
** 3D Rendering --> 3-12-time-lapse-video-of-plumbing-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925.html#p451729 **
** Time lapse video - Pool Layout --> 3-12-time-lapse-video-of-plumbing-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925.html#p459557 **
** Time lapse video - Dig --> 3-12-time-lapse-video-of-plumbing-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925.html#p461452 **
** Time lapse video - Plumbing --> 3-8-time-lapse-video-of-dig-new-pool-build-phoenix-az-t54925.html#p462558 **
** Construction pics from layout to plumbing --> 3-12-time-lapse-video-of-plumbing-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925.html#p462848 **
** Time lapse video - Steel --> 3-13-tons-of-pics-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925-20.html#p463065 **
** Construction pics of steel and shotcrete --> 3-14-time-lapse-video-steel-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925-20.html#p466076 **
** Time lapse video - Shotcrete --> 3-14-time-lapse-video-steel-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925-20.html#p466101 **
** Time lapse video - Waterfall --> 3-25-time-lapse-video-shotcrete-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925-40.html#p471228 **
** Time lapse video - Cleanup --> 4-11-time-lapse-video-waterfall-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925-40.html#p471738 **
** Time lapse video - Decking/Coping --> 4-11-time-lapse-video-waterfall-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925-40.html#p471770 **
** Time lapse video - Spa Tile Finish --> 4-13-time-lapse-video-decking-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925-40.html#p490494 **
** Time lapse video - pebble finish and fill --> 5-17-time-lapse-video-spa-tile-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925-40.html#p491233 **
** Time lapse video - Complete Process --> 5-18-time-lapse-video-pebble-new-pool-build-phoenix-t54925-40.html#p513423 **
Hi All,

We're planning on starting our new pool build early in 2013 and are currently evaluating pool builders. We've worked with 8 pool builders so far and are close to picking the winner. It's been an interesting experience and I will write much more on that topic another time. In the mean time see below for what we're currently looking at. Before we sign a contract, does anyone have any input on items that may be missing or things you wish you had done? Once we start construction we'll definitely be posting pictures! Thanks!

In-ground Pool and Spa:
Pool shape: Free form
Pool Perimeter: 99 sq ft
Pool Surf area: 540 sq ft
Pool finish: Pebble Radiance (like pebble sheen w/ abalone and glass beads)
Spa: Freeform about 7'x8'
Spa finish: Glass tile with stacked stone on face
Depth: 3.5 ft to 7 ft
Main Pump: Pentair VS 3050
Filter: Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420
In floor cleaning: Blue Square Q360
Heater: Pentair Mastertemp 400k
Lighting: Intellibrite 5g in pool and spa
Ozone: UltraPure UPP25
Auto water filler: Yes
Baja bench: Yes
Water feature: 30 sq ft Natural Rock Waterfall
Bubblers: 2 on baja bench
Fountain: 1 in spa
Umbrella sleeve: 1 in baja bench
Automation: Pentair Easytouch 8
Remote: Pentiar Easytouch 8
Chlorinator: Dek Quik Clor
Dedicated suction line: Yes
Coping: Travertine
Deck: Travertine
Accent Boulders: 6

I'm sure those of you local to the area know who this builder is based on equipment and options. We haven't made a final decision, or signed a contract, so there's still the possibility we'll go with another builder with the same (or very similar) specs.

Thanks! :cheers:

Re: New Pool Build (soon) - Phoenix, AZ

I know exactly who the builder is as they did my pool. They were great to work with and right on schedule, no regrets choosing them. I did use my own landscaper to do the stonework and decking which ended up saving me a lot of money. Most people here will tell you not to get the Ozone generator as it is basically useless for an outdoor pool, I opted out myself. Many here will also tell you not to get the in-floor cleaner but I have no regrets getting it on mine, it does an amazing job cleaning the pool and the popups never get in the way as I have mine set to clean in the middle of the night. The engineer at Blue-Square who did the layout for the popup locations obviously knew what he was doing as I have absolutely no dead spots. I do still brush the pool once a week, as recommended for the Pebble, but there is never any debris or noticeable dirt anywhere. I had a hayward vac on my previous pool in which the hose was always in the way and was a constant hassle to take out and put back in all the time when we wanted to use the pool, plus it always needed expensive repairs at least once a year. Can't speak about robotic cleaners as I've never had one but I didn't want anything I had to put in and pull out every time we wanted to use the pool, plus I hate having to look at anything floating or sitting in my pool when we are not using it (Type A personality here).

Things I did different was I upgraded from the C&C plus 420 to the 520 ($160) which has the same flow rate but needs to be cleaned a little less and I have the Pentair IC40 SWCG (was free with an Easytouch/VS pump promotion at the time) which I am very happy with. With the salt water system I have only had to monitor the chlorine levels since I've now got it dialed in but I do have to add small amounts of acid about 2 times per week but to me this is better than have to constantly lug jugs of chlorine or have a floater with pucks or any other automated chlorinator in my pool raising my CYA. I would expect that my pH will stabilize somewhat more over time as my plaster is probably still curing (Pool was completed in early August this year).

Only thing I would do different is I would have added one more Intellibrite light in the pool at the opposite end to get more even lighting, my pool is 33 feet long and the lighting effect is somewhat dim in the shallow end.

I am in Goodyear and am close to signing a contract as well. Since you have Pebble Radiance, you've narrowed your builder down to Cal Pools and Presidential as that product is used by those 2 that I know of. Since it's Pentair, that narrows it down to Presidential. I too got a quote from Presidential but the designer was brand new to pools and it showed in his design. Lots of curves but no real purpose or flow to the shape of the yard or house. I've narrowed the selection down to Cal and Tribal and hope to sign by the end of the week. It's horrible to try to compare one PB to another and each one says the others are terrible; that they are the only PB doing anything right. It's worse than trying to buy a used car! Anyway, regarding your question, I think you'll like the glass tile in the spa vs. Pebble. I would be concerned about the SWG and the travertine as well as the boulders. My previous pool, Shasta, had SWG and both the accent boulders and the waterfall were crumbling and it was attributed to using surface select granite boulders and the reaction to the salt water. Regarding the travertine, there are many different grades and the lesser grades are somewhat succeptible to salt. You can seal them but they are very porous and the sealant will need to be reapplied unless it is silicon based but the silicon based sealants will make it really slippery. That said, I am going with traverting coping and decking but am not using SWG. The ozone can be effective in lowering chlorine consumption but you will still need a residual chlorinator. Ozone is agressive and will damage metal and rubber so it needs to be injected after equipment in the return line. I've researched and opinions vary on its effectiveness. Surely it works in the commercial world but is the residential applications strong enough to really do anything? I don't know the answer to that. To me, I opted for chlorine only as it's proven vs being a guiney pig. The options are endless and it's next to impossible to tell what's right. Not sure the salesman even knows; he's just selling what he's told to sell. There is no clear answer IMO. I know our water is extremely hard and my SWG had problems coping with water older than a year. In the summer, we have so much evaporation that the hardness level increases quickly. After a complete drain and fill, the SWG worked great, but after that first year, I had problems with scale buildup on the grids. It was a weekly cleaning and then mulit-times a week. If I went with a SWG again, I'd go with the Pentair intellichem acid injection. It's injected right before the SWG adn that helps reduce the scale. My SWG didn't reverse polarity like the new ones do so that will also help but I ended up diabling the SWG due to the almost daily maintenance. Just my 2 cents, take if for what you paid for it.
Roger

RKRick, thanks for the feedback, that's good to hear that they were responsive and on time. We've read a lot about the ozone and we're undecided on how well they work as well. Also, it's good to hear some feedback on the Blue Square in floor cleaner. We can't find much feedback on the system since it's relatively new, but we're 100% set on an in floor cleaner. We actually live in Maricopa and are on the front line for the dust storms. Our previous pool had a Hayward vaccuum and that thing was a pain and always missed certain spots even after we tried adjusting it. And of course rebuilding that thing was costly and never a fun chore. Regarding the filter we actually just asked our sales guy about the 520 so we may end up going that route. Also, good feedback on the light. Our pool will be about 35' long so sounds like 2 lights would be ideal, just too bad they cost so much!

regor, you're correct that particular quote is from Presidential. That's too bad that you got placed with a new guy. The guy we're working with has had the best design from the start, and also been the most responsive and very knowledgeable. He also hasn't bad-mouthed any of the other builders, which some of the others were quick to do. We feel you pain about comparing different builders! We met with, and got quotes from: Tribal Waters, Presidential, California, Natural Reflections, Hop Cassidy, Shasta, Blue Haven, and Caribbean. It's been quite the adventure. We're not going with a SWG for the same reasons you mentioned.

We're looking to sign by the end of the year, so we'll see how it goes! I'll try to post a picture of the design sometime soon. Thanks!

Added a few pics of the design. There are a few minor changes but overall this is the look we're going for.
[attachment=2:38at6d56](10-31-12)_005.jpg[/attachment:38at6d56]
[attachment=1:38at6d56](10-31-12)_006.jpg[/attachment:38at6d56]
[attachment=0:38at6d56](10-31-12)_007.jpg[/attachment:38at6d56]

Attachments

• (10-31-12)_005.jpg
    (10-31-12)_005.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,621
  • (10-31-12)_006.jpg
    (10-31-12)_006.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 1,617
  • (10-31-12)_007.jpg
    (10-31-12)_007.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1,618

I remember how excited I was on my pool build! Congrats!

After building my pool, there are a few things I would change in my design.
-I had two umbrella holders added around the outside of the pool. I would add two more as they can be used for volleyball nets, basketball hoops and of course umbrellas.
-The depth in my shallow end is 3.5'. I would highly recommend 4'.
-I would add my lighting to have two intellibrite lights that are located on the side closest to the house, and pointed away.
-Consider putting in any electrical and/or gas lines when concrete is being poured. It's too hard to do it later.
-I had colored concrete put in... I would not do that again. I'd either get stamped, or get plain and do an acid stain later.
-I have the kreepy krawly pool cleaner - glad to have a cleaner, but might go robotic if I were to redo the decision.
-I would have each return and skimmer line individually plumbed to ensure equalized pressure.

A few things I think I got right:
-I put in a lot of concrete, and am happy to have the extra patio space.
-I really like my pentair clean and clear 420 cartridge filter
-I am very pleased with my pentair IC40 salt water generator
-I utilized borates... i could have probably only check my water balance once per month and have been okay.
-I got a two speed pentair pump and am pleased with that decision
-I got a cantilevered stamped concrete coping and like it - might go with a bolder color the next time around
-I had 3 deck jets added in a line - love them and the effect.

I hope this is helpful! Best of luck!

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things and the layout looks awesome :cheers: !
If I were to do it all over again I would add more umbrella sleeves in the decking and more in pool lighting. I would line the entire southern side of the decking with sleeves. Maybe 4 feet or so apart. We spend lots of time soaking in the pool during the heat, even though you are in the water its nice to get relief from the blazing sun. As far as the lighting it would be nice just to have different lighting options for mood controll :whoot:
I also worried alot about how hot my decking choice would be. in hindsight it was silly beacause no matter what you get for decking its going to get blistering hot.
Good luck!

Shane1 said:
...I also worried alot about how hot my decking choice would be. in hindsight it was silly beacause no matter what you get for decking its going to get blistering hot.
Good luck!

I was worried about this also being in the same area plus my backyard is on the west side of the house and the pool and most of the deck get direct sunlight from 10am - 4pm. I spent quite a bit of time trying out various surfaces to see which one would be best and ended up going with a light shade travertine deck and coping which is significantly cooler than any other surface I tried. While it does obviously get quite warm you can stand on it indefinitely with dry bare feet with no discomfort at all. The next best thing was the lighter colored Alpine Lace finished concrete (Kool Deck) which wasn't unbearable as long as either you didn't just stand in one place for more than a few seconds or your feet were wet, but it is no where near as comfortable as the travertine. The only downside to the travertine is when either it or your feet are wet you do not have the same traction as the concrete, traction is reasonable just not as good. I wouldn't say it's a problem at all as long as you aren't running around the pool (my kids are all grown up). I used a water based sealant on mine and didn't notice any loss of traction but I would stay away from using an oil based sealant for sure.

Best part of the whole deal is that the company that did my landscaping charged me a slightly less for the travertine decking and coping than the PB wanted for concrete (PB was way higher for travertine to the tune of about $5K).

P2010060rs.JPG

Thanks for all of the additional comments. Sounds like a couple of you wish you had added additional lighting. We're at the top of our budget right now so we may just end up supplementing with landscaping lighting later. Just another thing we'll have to figure out before construction starts. So many cool and fun options to choose from, just need to start playing the lotto I guess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: *3/8 Time lapse video of DIG* New Pool Build - Phoenix,

Melt In The Sun said:
Cool! Funny watching the shovel on the little backhoe sag slowly when idle.

Haha, yeah I thought the same thing.

I'll continue to post more videos as the build progresses. Not many comments but I know people are watching because I can see the number of videos.

It rained alot over the last couple of days and some large ruts started appearing in some of the steps. The deep end seemed to fill up with some dirt also. We'll see what they do about it next week.

Like RKRick, I used travertine for my deck. I have a friend in New Orleans who just did a major remodel of their home. They opted to do a stamped, travertine colored concrete instead of pavers. I modeled my pool after their pool in design and construction but I chose to do travertine instead. Why? Three months after installing the deck it cracked. In a huge way. The contractor had told them it would crack as all concrete does. So what do you do? Live with the cracks or dig it up. The great thing about pavers is they can be adjusted and leveled very easily. If you need to fix something like plumbing, I would rather remove some pavers and fix the problem than dig up a Darn load of concrete. I can also just put the pavers back after the problem is fixed.

Good luck on your build!

David Hurley

gumby6506 said:
What kind of camera and settings did you use for that time lapse video? That is a really good idea!

Camera: iPhone 4S
Software: Lapse It Pro for iPhone
Lens: Fisheye lens for iPhone (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NE ... UTF8&psc=1)
Camera holder: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VI ... UTF8&psc=1

Set up the phone on a tripod and put it on airplane mode. Also ran an extension cord to it for power. The shots were 15 seconds apart for about 12 hours (with a little hiccup in between)! Recorded at 1080p and I think rendered around 17 fps, but I don't exactly recall.

Edited because I forgot to add the lends and phone holder!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.