Intex Manual Vacuum - use pool water instead of hose

I used my manual vacuum today and it worked fine.. the only problem I have with it is adding new water messes with the chemicals and wastes water (have to drain it out). So, I want to know if anyone has tried rigging up a connection to the pump outlet to push water through the manual vacuum, just like the garden hose? It would eliminate both of my problems with using the garden hose if I could use the pressure that is already created when the water is returned to the pool by the pump instead of the garden hose.

We know we can upgrade the pump and get a real vacuum, but we have a 14'x48" pool that we don't want to spend much on as it's a temporary setup for the next year or two before it will be completely removed.

Thanks so much for any ideas!

DBaines

I bought a Zappy, couldn't really get it to work with my pump and filter. I have a 16'x48" Intex ultra and was using a combo pump, filter and salt water system. I don't know if the pump just didn't get enough flow or what. I did and still do use the 1.5" flex hose that came with the Zappy to vacuum, so it wasn't a total loss. I connect the flex hose to the skimmer adapter, fits perfectly. I went out and bought a 16' pole and a vacuum head. I found that it vacuumed so well that I was having to change filters halfway through vacuuming.

The next season I upgraded to a 14" Intex sand filter and pump combo. I tried connecting the Zappy to this new setup, no joy. Manual vacuuming is much easier with the sand filter as I don't have to stop and change or clean the filter cartridges any more. I do have to back flush the sand filter periodically and that does take water out of the pool. However, it is not enough that it throws the pool chemical balance off.

I'm pretty sure you should be able to get some flex hose of sufficient length at any pool supply store as well as a pole and vacuum head. I actually bought the pole and vacuum head at Home Depot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.