What kind of pump do I need?

Apr 30, 2013
As seen here, I need to get the liner out of my not-yet-completed pool. There is 3-4" of water in the liner right now. We tried to use a ShopVac, but it didn't have the oompf to pull water the five or so feet to the tank. My wife found this pump, which others have used to drain pools. Is it safe? Do I need to put anything under it to protect the liner?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Said wife here, basically we need to know (in case you can't click through the links) if it's safe for the liner (just installed, about 3 inches of water in the pool, but need to back track to make adjustments) to put a submersible utility pump into the pool to drain the water. We are expecting rain (of course), starting tomorrow, for the next 5 days and would like to get the liner out before that happens.

I used an elevated sump pump (tied to a ladder so it was a few inches off the bottom) to drain mine, if there is a concern with that pump you can just elevate it somehow (brick, board, etc). Not sure how long it will take with that level of horsepower.
I had to drain a couple of feet from my pool during installation, it aint fun.
THe sump pump will get most of it but I personally had to use a shop vac for the end of it and it tool a long time.

If I had to do it over again, and if you have a functioning pump, I'd get a hose that can reach from the pump, over the pool wall and to the bottom, the pool pump will make short work of it. Pump to waste.
Just make sure it dosn't suck the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.