Pool still cloudy

Jun 16, 2012
It's been a week now since I first shocked my very green swamp pool. I have since cleaned out all the leaves and bugs that were in it, but it is still very very cloudy white.
I have added algae guard a couple days ago, and am currently shocking the pool for the second straight day. I have a sand filter, that has been running non stop since i first shocked it, but the water is still completely cloudy.
what can i do?

it's a 12x24x4' vinyl above ground pool. the filter is 1.5hp pump with 22inch sand filter. I do believe the first week I didn't keep a good constant shock level but added several bags of dichlor, so my cya is probably around 40-45 according to the calculator. I have now however switched to bleach only.

The only test kit I have is OTO right now
FC is showing orange, so I know it's probably above 15ppm
ph around 7.5
alkalinity around 400 (hard well water)
calcium hardness 330

Well, with a CYA of 40-45, you need to maintain the FC around 16ppm ... that is just not possible without the FAS-DPD test. Also you need that test in order to check 2 of the 3 criteria listed in Pool School to know when you are done with the shock process.

You can try a little DE in the filter (see Pool School) to see if that helps clear the water.

Also the pH test is not valid when FC > 10ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.