SWG vs EPA-approved alternatives

May 23, 2013
South Florida
I'm learning a lot on this forum. Thank you all for sharing!

Right now I'm leaning toward converting to a SWG pool. It's appealing to have a closed system rather than buying and lugging jugs of chlorine and other chemicals.

However, I saw mention in this thread that there are some EPA-approved alternative sanitizers: http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

My question is this: Are things like SoftSwim, Revacil, and Baqua chlorine-free?

I've learned on this forum that the products such as Ecosmarte and Technopure seem to be garbage and don't actually work.

Would something like SoftSwim actually work and be chlorine-free and chemical-free?

I'm really trying to find out if it's possible to go chlorine-free and still maintain a safe pool. If not, I'll go with a SWG system.

Thanks for the fast response jblizzle.

I'm learning there's a lot of junk science out there. I have my family's safety in mind but don't want to be duped.

An alternative such as SoftSwim is presented as being safer and healthier than chlorine. Is that not true? What chemicals are used? It's hard to sort through their "all is perfect" approach on their websites.

Is the prevailing opinion on this site that using chlorine is best, be it either as a normal chlorinated pool or a SWG system?

dc2sofla said:
Is the prevailing opinion on this site that using chlorine is best, be it either as a normal chlorinated pool or a SWG system?

Basically, Yes.

If you want to read about biguanide (often Bacquacil), check out the forum devoted to them:
baquacil-use-and-conversion-f44.html

It is full of people that have gotten sick of the very expensive chemicals and the persistently cloudy water who have now converted to chlorine.

The third approved sanitizer (bromine) is ok too, but more useful in hot tub environments.

dc2sofla said:
And is Go Chemless another junk company out there? http://gochemless.com

Again, thanks to all of you. I defer to the experts on this issue. I'm really just trying to determine my options.

That is just another "mineral system" that puts metal in the water to try to prevent algae and kill stuff. Often chlorine is still required on a weekly basis. And the metal has the potential to stain the pool and turn hair green.

We NEVER recommend putting metal into the water.

If you want a safe and sanitized pool without totally depleting your wallet, chlorine is by far the only real choice. This forum is completely centered around the use of chlorine and you will find no alternative that will measure up despite what you might read elsewhere.

We will help you understand a chlorine pool (an SWG pool is a chlorine pool, too) but you will not find any advocates here of the alternative sanitizers....they don't measure up.

Holy Crud. Bacquacil looks like it's hard as heck to maintain. I'm not looking for that at all.

Thank you for preventing a disaster!

Is Bacquacil even supposed to be safer? Do people just use it because of the bad press chlorine has gotten?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.