Replacing worn out Frog Hybrid SWG cell

Jenischmeni

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2013
Indiana
As you can probably already tell, I am very new to this forum. I've already ordered my TF-100XL test kit and it's shipped but hasn't arrived to my house yet. (I knew you'd ask me! LOL)

I'm looking for some feedback and advice.....

We currently have a Frog Hybrid SWG 6440. Despite indoor storage over winter, the cell developed a crack in the plastic connector before last season's opening. The pool guy was able to repair the crack and the SWG worked "okay" most of last season. It stopped generating for a while, but hubby was able to clean all the contacts and get it back up and running.

Same crack reappeared this year, same pool guy fixed it. Hubby contacted Frog because it's still under warranty. Frog will replace the cell, but at a cost of $500 to us. (As you may already know, Frog doesn't make SWG any more.)

In my internet browsing and some careful reading here, I noticed the Resilience brand looked a lot like what I have. I also read where someone said that Frog's cell was just a private label for Resilience. (I'm not such a fan of Frog and it was a replacement for the first SWG that was faulty when they installed the pool.)

I cannot get my control board to go above a #1. My salt level is about 4200. I say about because when we measured it (with the last of the test strips), we got a reading of 4200. The pool store measured it and said it's only 3600. We added 40# more salt and haven't yet remeasured because we can't find more salt test strips anywhere. (We're still looking.) Manufacturer recommends 3500-5000. From what I've read here, it's possible that the control board thinks the salt is too low because of a faulty sensor. Would a new cell fix that?

Here's my options:

#1 - Call Resilience and find out if their cell will fit my system. (I'd also need to find which specific cell I need.) The cost is anywhere from high 200's to low 400's. (Until I find out exactly which one will work if it will work.)

Pros: cheapest alternative if it works
Cons: If the control board isn't working, it'd need replaced anyway.

#2 - Order a new SWG system. We've priced out the CompuPool Salt Chlorine Generator CPSC24 at $496.94.

Pros: Not much more than a new cell and I'd be getting a whole new system
Cons: Some plumbing would be involved at a cost of maybe $70. (Hubby can do this.) Who's to say that they'll be around in 5 years making the equipment when I need a new cell.

#3 - Switch to the BBB Method

Cons: We tend to travel on some weekends and we wouldn't be home to be monitoring the pool.

Last question:

Since my salt is so high right now (for this SWG), will I need to drain to bring it down for a different manufacturer? And since my salt is so high, would I have to drain to switch to the BBB method?

Thanks for your advice!!!!!

You can use BBB method even though you travel on weekends. I've gone for as long as 11 days using the BBB methods taught here. Not a problem.
You don't need to drain down the salt level to switch to the BBB method. As for a different cell - that I don't know.

We gave in and ordered the CPSC24. Trying to keep this thing consistent in chlorine was making us crazy!

As I write this, I'm watching my pool drain to below the light and jets so hubby can recaulk. We figured if we were going to drain it down to reduce the salt content, we may as well use the opportunity to caulk. I'm already prepared that it lowering the water that much will result in having to actually add more salt. But, it's a great opportunity to caulk that light!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.