Quick question on Chlorine levels

May 25, 2011
Bridgewater, NJ
Hello.

Just had a quick question regarding chlorine levels. I used a test kit to see my CYA is around 40-50, which gives me a minimum chlorine level of 4 ppm with a target of 6 ppm.

I could swear that I've read somewhere (might've been on the leslie's test kit) that you shouldn't enter the pool if chlorine is above 5. I am fully aware that pool stores sell more BS than quality products but am just wondering how CYA affects how chlorine is good/bad for a human body. Is there any truth to Chlorine levels above 5 being bad and does CYA actual change that?

Thanks in advance.

That would only be true with 0 CYA ... which is all the pool stores seems to assume everyone has.

You are perfectly safe to swim in a pool with CYA in all the way up to shock level ... as the active chlorine is still less than you would find in a public pool that has 0 CYA and 2ppm of FC.

See this:
http://richardfalk.home.comcast.net/~ri ... l/HOCl.htm

Suarez7:

You are fine to enter your pool at an FC of 5. A certain amount of chlorine is bound to CYA. Basically, this means that an FC of 5 @ a CYA of 40 is equivalent to an FC of 9 @ a CYA of 80 (see Chlorine/CYA Chart link in my sig). So, it is safe to swim at an FC level that is below shock level for your CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.