Cya and chlorine levels dropping

Jshove24

Jul 2, 2023
Columbia, SC
Hello I am totally new at this with this summer being my first summer starting the pool up from winter. I got all my chemicals balanced and water is crystal clear but I am having trouble with the chlorine and cya levels.

I just ordered the Taylor 2006 test kit so I will see what is actually going on when that arrives but on the test strips it continuously shows FC as white or zero no matter how much liquid chlorine or shock I put in. Also my CYA levels drop very rapidly. I just got it up to 40 ppm (again with a test strip) on Wednesday and it is already back to zero.

I read that the heat can affect the CYA levels dropping and it has been 90s and very sunny here (SC) but I didn’t think it would be that rapidly. I’m starting to wonder if the test strips are just not reading the FC levels correctly and they are actually super high.

I am already sick of dumping money into the chlorine and stabilizer since it just disappears so fast. When I get the new test kit do I SLAM it to hold the FC levels or is that only for when your water is nasty?

HELP
Thank you!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Don't panic. There's not much you can do until your K-2006 arrives. In the meantime, be sure to download the PoolMath. Fill out your pool details, then go to the Effects of Adding section to determine how to increase the FC by 5 ppm. Use enough liquidh chlorine (or regular bleach) to add 5 ppm worth each day. Just add that chlorine and nothing else until the kit arrvies. Then we can help with no guesswork or wasted time and chemicals.

Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Also see --------> Pool Care Basics

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Don't panic. There's not much you can do until your K-2006 arrives. In the meantime, be sure to download the PoolMath. Fill out your pool details, then go to the Effects of Adding section to determine how to increase the FC by 5 ppm. Use enough liquidh chlorine (or regular bleach) to add 5 ppm worth each day. Just add that chlorine and nothing else until the kit arrvies. Then we can help with no guesswork or wasted time and chemicals.

And add this in the evening when the sun goes down correct?

So my test kit finally came in and I ran the tests and my results were:

Cya -60
FC - 1.5
CC -2
Ph 7.4
TA- 100
CH-200

Water is still crystal clear. I added 1.5 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine and vacuumed and brushed pool. So I just add that amount several times a day until it passes the overnight chlorine test!

Good to see you received your test kit. :goodjob: The bad news is your tests confirm a problem. The historically low FC and now elevated CC level is a sign of excessive organics. Even though your water is crystal clear, you may have an algae issue. Here's what I would do first to confirm....

1 - Use liquid chlorine to increase the FC to around 8-10 ppm. Don't be shy about it, it's fine. If you're home today, test a couple more times throughout the day to try and keep it in that 8-10 range.
2 - Tonight if you can, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you pass, then you got very lucky. If you fail, then a SLAM Process would be next.

Read those two articles carefully and let us know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Reactions: Bperry
So my test kit finally came in and I ran the tests and my results were:

Cya -60
FC - 1.5
CC -2
Ph 7.4
TA- 100
CH-200

Water is still crystal clear. I added 1.5 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine and vacuumed and brushed pool. So I just add that amount several times a day until it passes the overnight chlorine test!
Make sure the FC and CC tests are correct. Some new folks confuse total chlorine (TC) with combined chlorone(CC). The chlorine tests should be done with the powder and pink colored water sample when the powder is added. Once you get the FC reading by changing the sample from pink to clear, add the 5 drops of CC reagent. If it turns pink after the 5 drops, add the R0871 again until it changes back to clear. The number of drops it takes divided by 2 is your CC reading assuming you’re using the 10ml water sample (which is recommended)

Good to see you received your test kit. :goodjob: The bad news is your tests confirm a problem. The historically low FC and now elevated CC level is a sign of excessive organics. Even though your water is crystal clear, you may have an algae issue. Here's what I would do first to confirm....

1 - Use liquid chlorine to increase the FC to around 8-10 ppm. Don't be shy about it, it's fine. If you're home today, test a couple more times throughout the day to try and keep it in that 8-10 range.
2 - Tonight if you can, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you pass, then you got very lucky. If you fail, then a SLAM Process would be next.

Read those two articles carefully and let us know if you have any questions. Good luck!
I passed the overnight test this morning so now what do I need to do for daily/ weekly maintenance?

Thank you for all your help!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now that you've passed the OCLT, you can let the FC fall back down to the ideal level for your CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Wait until the FC drops below 10 to try and validate that one. The TA is slightly elevated, but should slowly fall to a more ideal range of 50-80 with each acid application when you treat the pH, so not a big deal. Not sure what kind of pool you have since your signature is blank. CH is fine for vinyl but low for plaster. Overall looks like you are in good shape. :swim:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bperry and Newdude
Good morning! I was reminded that in my post above I said to wait until your pH drops below 10, of course I meant wait until the FC falls below 10 to validate the pH. :hammer: Hope that didn't confuse you. Thanks @wireform. :goodjob:

I'm just now seeing your numbers from Friday. They look good, and I suspect your FC has fallen close to normal by now. Hope all is well. If you have any other questions, let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.