Got liner installed -- think it was a bad job

jamor

May 21, 2013
Detroit Area, MI
I recently had my pool store put in a new liner in my 24 round.

I haven't finished filling it yet (it's filled to right below the return) as I travel for work. Before I left I noticed a few issues.

1) There were a lot of creases around the end of the pool. The guy made sure to flatten the middle, but left a lot of small creases (and one big one) on the outer edge. Is there a way to smooth these out at this point?

2) There is an area about 5 feet long that is very lose on the top edge. I mentioned it to him and he said continued filling will fix this. Is that the case?

3) He left a large overhang of the new liner on the outside of the pool. It appear to hang down about a foot. Is this normal?

I wanted to check with folks in the know, but I feel like he did a pretty bad job on the liner, but I want know what are common issues and what are mistakes on his part?

Thanks,
Jamor

Wrinkles in the liner pose no danger but are a PITA when it comes to sweeping the pool and they also collect debree.

The only way you can remove them is by lowering the water and pulling them out. With the water up to the return, it will be nearly impossible to fix wrinkles on the bottom.

The loose liner may correct itself and it may not. The way to fix it would be a.) filling the pool and seeing if he's right or b.) taking off the top rails and stabilizer bar and pulling the excess over the wall and reattaching the coping strips, stabilizer bar and top rails. Those are your options.

As far as the over hang, I used to have one and once the pool was full and complete, I took a razor and trimmed the excess. Some people roll them up and secure them under the top rail with the stabilizer bar but I found it to be a bit bulky so I trimmed mine off. I never encountered a problem in doing so. Leave a good 2" of over lap if it bothers to that much. Also, save the excess so you can use them as patches if need be.

I personally think it was a bad job myself. I'd sure be upset! You folks think he has any recourse on a do-over? That's an awful lot of work and frustration on his part for a job he PAID to have done right. And welcome to the forum!

woodyp said:
I personally think it was a bad job myself. I'd sure be upset! You folks think he has any recourse on a do-over? That's an awful lot of work and frustration on his part for a job he PAID to have done right. And welcome to the forum!

Thanks, I am definitely wondering if I should be complaining to this guy.

Make the call. It doesn't cost anything to ask.

It will cost something in lost water, but you know darn well in your heart that you'll be annoyed about it for as long as you own the pool that you didn't get it fixed. Once people start swimming, you'll never be able to take it away from them to drain it and fix the liner.

woodyp said:

Personally, I could have done a better job doing it for him myself because I'd of treated his pool like my own. Aside from just answering his questions... if it were my pool, I'd be on the phone to the installer of said liner because like you, he paid him for a job and recieved unsatisfactory results.

This is the reason why I like to do things myself with a few friends who will listen to me. If it's not to my liking, it's getting a do over. I have trouble handing over money to someone who I hire out for a job and says, "I can't see it from my house!"

I started out with this kind of liner. It hung over the top also. The liner fell into the pool as it was filling with water. I ended up taking the liner out and purchasing a beaded liner system. Wow! Much easier to assemble. It is also easier to put a new liner in when this liner wears out. I know it is more money to spend but it is well worth it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.