Please help...not sure if I have blockage or leak

G

I opened my pool a few weeks ago and noticed pressure was high (low 20's) and everything was working except for the deeper end return jet (I have 4 returns, 2 in stairs, 1 shallow end and one in deeper end). For some reason it doesn't work when I start up the pool. If I divert water to it, it begins to work and stays that way for the rest of the day.

The other day I came home and no pressure in the skimmer with the basket floating in the skimmer. I shut everything down and cleaned the filter cartridges. Once everything was turned on the PSI continued to read 25 and skimmer suction was still not normal! My local pool store recommended I use a shop vac to blow the skimmer line from the pump in case there was a blockage. I did that and skimmer suction seems better now but PSI is still 25!

When the solar kicks in the pressure drops to normal (about 12PSI) and when the solar kicks out PSI goes back up to 25!

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Is your pump basket full with no bubbles? Does your pressure gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

Off the top of my head, I suspect you have a blockage between the point water is diverted to the solar and the point where it rejoins the return line. Maybe your valve or actuator is misaligned or the actuator isn't working properly causing flow directly to the pool to be restricted.

The first thing to do, if you haven't already, is to check all of your valves to make sure nothing is turned off that should be on. Your symptoms suggest that there is a blockage on the path water takes when it is not going to the solar system, ie somewhere after the solar diverter valve and before the returns.

A blockage in the skimmer line would lower the pressure on the filter gauge, which doesn't appear to be happening.

JohnT said:
Is your pump basket full with no bubbles? Does your pressure gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

Off the top of my head, I suspect you have a blockage between the point water is diverted to the solar and the point where it rejoins the return line. Maybe your valve or actuator is misaligned or the actuator isn't working properly causing flow directly to the pool to be restricted.

Yes the gauge goes to zero when the pump is off.

JasonLion said:
The first thing to do, if you haven't already, is to check all of your valves to make sure nothing is turned off that should be on. Your symptoms suggest that there is a blockage on the path water takes when it is not going to the solar system, ie somewhere after the solar diverter valve and before the returns.

A blockage in the skimmer line would lower the pressure on the filter gauge, which doesn't appear to be happening.

Thanks for the insight...I'll try to check the diverter valve.

MikeyP said:
JohnT said:

Yes the gauge goes to zero when the pump is off.

Pump basket was not full and had bubbles all day yesterday but seems to be fine today...full with no bubbles.

Skimmer is working albeit a little low on suction. Basically everything is now working...except pressure is at 25psi unless solar kicks in and it drops to 12psi.

JohnT said:

OK I feel like a total idiot...I got the pressure part backwards. Pressure goes up to 25psi when solar is ON and drops to normal when solar is OFF!

MikeyP said:
JohnT said:

OK I feel like a total idiot...I got the pressure part backwards. Pressure goes up to 25psi when solar is ON and drops to normal when solar is OFF!

That is more normal. How high off the ground are your solar panels?

JohnT said:
MikeyP said:
JohnT said:

That is more normal. How high off the ground are your solar panels?

Two storey house...on the roof. The run goes from one corner of the backyard where pool equipment is all the way across yard diagonally and then up the two stories to the roof.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.