Raypak heater "Rollout SW Open"

Here is my solution to this problem. Start by acquiring a new "fuse"/"Roll out switch".
Take the front panel off of the unit. Clean the burner unit with compressed air and vacuum under and around the burner with a shop vac.....rinse and repeat if necessary. I use an air compressor to blow all the soot loose and then I vacuum all the particulate matter from the burner area.

Next, Leave the front panel off and start the heater. If you see flames "rolling out" toward the fuse, shut unit off and hit the burner with some more compressed air, and maybe a light brushing. Vacuum again, and start it up. You should be golden.

I would purchase back up fuses: https://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com...2100/84368p1?gclid=CKa9taWnmNQCFcxXDQodme8Ggw

and even cheaper: 005899F - Thermal Cut-off Fuse 106156 by Raypak

These are about $10.00 cheaper than Amazon.

Cheers,
Jeff

If it is a Raypak heater, the roll out sensor is a one time use part, like a fuse, it isnt re-settable. I would replace it, leave the front cover removed, start the heater, and observe if the flame "rolls out". If you see this happen, turn off the heater immediately, and have a tech check the exchanger for sooting.

"If it is a Raypak heater, the roll out sensor is a one time use part, like a fuse, it isnt re-settable." This is a HUGE issue with these Raypak pool heaters. I have now wind issues. I have a heater stack. The furnace is 2 years old & yet, the rollout switch keeps breaking with nop means to reset it after cleaning.

I will never buy or recommend a heater with a non-resettable rollout switch again! $250 to fix every time it breaks!!!

"If it is a Raypak heater, the roll out sensor is a one time use part, like a fuse, it isnt re-settable." This is a HUGE issue with these Raypak pool heaters. I have now wind issues. I have a heater stack. The furnace is 2 years old & yet, the rollout switch keeps breaking with nop means to reset it after cleaning.

I will never buy or recommend a heater with a non-resettable rollout switch again! $250 to fix every time it breaks!!!

I have never replaced a "broken" roll out sensor (35 yrs). Roll out sensors are a device that when they open, are telling you "Hey, there is a problem here, don't just replace me, and expect me not to open again!) I agree, a re-settable roll out sensor would be convenient providing that humans could be trusted to fix the problem rather than re-setting the switch, have it trip over and over again, and then complain of a bad product because they only addressed a symptom, and not the cause...

One should thank their lucky stars that ALL heaters have (one time) roll out sensors. They serve an extremely important function... Not to burn your place down!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.