High CYA low Fc

May 15, 2013
I am having an issure with keeping a FC level in my pool. I have been shocking with Dichorl and using trichlor tabs. My CYA is now at 150. We have pumped off several gallons of water and refilled, but it didn't help with the cya. Is there anything, besides draining the pool, to do.

Welcome to TFP!

The only way to remove CYA is to drain water and replace it. Not sure what kind of pool you have but if it is above ground, I would only do about a third at a time to keep from messing the liner up. If your pool is inground, then use care as well if your water table is high in your area. For a non saltwater pool, you want your CYA down to between 30 and 50. Stop using stabilized chlorine sources like dichlor or trichlor and use bleach instead.

Ok, I have taken all the trichlor tabs out of the skimmer and started shocking with bleach. I am able to hold a high chlorine level overnight now. I have been reading all the info in Pool School. My CYA is still around 150. My Pool is crystal clear. I have in inground 20x40 vinyl liner and sand filter pool.
I do not want to drain the water down in my pool and refill as that will cost a lot of money. My question, Do I need to maintain a fc level of at least 7 even though my pool is crystal clear? I live in Middle Tennessee and the temp of the pool is around 75 now.

Water is not nearly expensive as most people think ... averages around $5/1000 gallons.

At 150ppm CYA, you need to maintain at least a FC of 11ppm according to the poolcalculator to prevent algae from starting.

Best to replace water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.