Filter Size Question

Mr. Blue

LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2013
Spring, TX (Houston)
New pool owner here.

I have a Pentair FNS Plus filter, but do not know the filter size. On the side of the filter, there is a chart where the person installing the filter was supposed to 'check off' the model number (see below). As you can see, no one did this.

The person that was "maintaining" the pool said she was told to add 6 cups of DE after backwashing. Yet, when I look at the filter, the minimum size listed is 36ft, which would call for 8 cups (based on the chart on the bag of DE).

Is there a way to tell what the filter size is for sure?

8ZbBkum.jpg

I had the same problem when I started.

What I did was measure the height of the grids when I had it opened to clean it. The manual shows different heights for different sizes - all they change is the height of the grids, the center rod, and the top tank. Look at the exploded view on page 9. The parts list shows the grid heights.

Or, less accurately, measure height of filter. Add height of top tank. That tells you how high you'll need to lift to clear the grids inside. Compare to Table 1 in that link to the manual.

Richard320 said:
I had the same problem when I started.

What I did was measure the height of the grids when I had it opened to clean it. The manual shows different heights for different sizes - all they change is the height of the grids, the center rod, and the top tank. Look at the exploded view on page 9. The parts list shows the grid heights.

Or, less accurately, measure height of filter. Add height of top tank. That tells you how high you'll need to lift to clear the grids inside. Compare to Table 1 in that link to the manual.
Awesome. Thank you!

I am in the process of deep cleaning the pool. I have taken the filter out and cleaned it once when I first started; I am going to do it again once I am done. I can measure the height of the grids then. Below is what the pool looked like when I started. It is now blue and cloudy...just a little bit further to go! :cool:

tbKZv7j.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.