Water spitting out of the top of sand filter?

May 6, 2013
Hey everybody. I just bought my first house and it has a pool.

I pulled the cover off on saturday and shocked the pool and thought I was running the filter. It was running but I still had a plug in the skimmer basket. so Today I removed that plug and started up the filter again, it runs for about 30 seconds before water starts squirting out of the pressure relief valve on my hayward S200 sand filter. So as of right now the filter is off until I can get this figured out. I looked around the pool for returns thinking I still had them covered but I think there is only one and it is uncovered.

Any ideas?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Are you sure it is a pressure relief valve and not the air bleed that just needs to be closed?

Make sure you read Pool School (button at the upper right of the page) so that you understand the correct shock PROCESS.

Yes, you close it when the pump is running and water starts squirting out so that you know you got the air out.

You should backwash when the pressure goes up 20-25% of your clean pressure ... what is your clean pressure? Does the gauge read zero when the pump is off?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.