Please Help

well i wouldn't say that the result of the first being brown and then turning to red chunks applies to me. It immediately goes in orange and stays orange and never dissolves..it basically looks like you putting vegetable oil in a glass of water, it just sortof moves around when i shake it but won't dissolve. So i just diluted half of it with tap water and it totally did what it was suppose to and dissolved to a darker orange color. what do you think all of this means?

So what REALLY happened is that your FC is sky high and the "expert" at the pool store does not know that the DPD test he is using which maxes out at 5ppm is getting bleached out by the high FC levels :hammer:

What kind of granular chlorine are you using? Hopefully it has not made the CYA sky high as well.

Just use more powder in the FAS-DPD test until it stays pink ... use a 10ml sample so each drop is 0.5ppm. Or even try a 5ml sample so each drop is 1ppm since it may be VERY high.

Because your CYA is apparently too high so the FC is still not high enough. Time to replace a lot of water to get the CYA to a manageable level.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try diluting the CYA test with 50/50 pool and tap water and then double the result to get a better estimate of CYA.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

mhein006
If you put your numbers into the pool calculator it will tell roughly how much water to drain I believe
Say you got 100 cya and your goal is 60 it says to replace 40% of your water
Well that's on my pool your pool maybe different but not by much
My pool is 14600 gallons yours is 15000

mhein006
Do what these guys tell you and you'll soon have a nice and clean pool
I'm a new pool owner and before I found this site I didn't know what to do
My pool installer told me it was ok to add bleach (I read online that you shouldn't) and then I started to surf the web and found TFP.COM
It was the best thing that could of happened at the time
I've been shocking my pool according to the pool school since April 29th and my pool is looking really good
I'm just waiting for it to clear up and then I'll take the test (1. free chlorine stays within 1.0ppm overnight, 2. Combined chlorine =.5ppm or less and the water is crystal clear)
And all it has cost me is about 45 dollars in bleach and I did buy the TF-100 test kit and I'm glad I did
I'm almost there just a couple of more days
Good Lord if I didn't find this place I would have been Pool Stored to death

mhein006 said:
how did this happen?
Powdered chlorine is stabilized with CYA. Pool stores like to sell powdered chlorine because it's expensive, but they either don't know or don't care that it sends your CYA levels through the roof. And now you're left with the headache.

It sucks, but bite the bullet, do the drain and refill. Pool chemistry is much much easier, and extremely predictable, when you get all of the parameters where they should be.

the more i think about it the more i think draining would be the best thing to do. Since i am having a mustard algae problem would it be beneficial to just drain the whole thing and clean it out or let it dry out? or if i just dropped about 75% would it be best to attack it with having less water in the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.