Yet another algae problem not clearing

anderson110 said:
duraleigh said:
The last pic is VERY revealing....you still have a ton of live algae in the pool and will need more chlorine to kill it. Keep your FC up at 24 all the time...(it's ok to go to say 28 or so and let it drift down to 22 but no lower.

Ok, then, took it up to 28. We'll see if that changes things.

Recap from day I took off the cover to today:

April 21:

Began shocking to 20 FC using liquid bleach:

April 23:

April 25:

April 28:

At this point I raised the shock level from 20 to 28:

May 1:

Progress! Still very cloudy, lots of sediment swirls up upon brushing, but a very clear color change when put against prior pics.

The cloudiness did not seem to be clearing at any sort of noticeable rate, so I decided to take a peek inside my sand filter.

I opened it up, and put a garden hose down in the sand and swished it around down under the sand. An astounding amount of material came out of the sand! I had to swish the hose around in there for nearly 15 minutes straight before the water came out clearish.

Unfortunately during this process, the standpipe/laterals shifted and I was unable to replace the multiport valve when I was done. So I removed (nearly) all the sand with a shop vac, cleaned it further (by swishing garden hose around in 5 gallon bucket with the sand), reseated the standpipe/laterals, replaced the sand, and voila.

We shall now see if this increases the rate at which the pool will clear up from its current cloudy condition.

May 3:

End of the day May 3:

What is that? The bottom of the pool?

Unfortunately I confounded the experiment by adding Pool First Aid this morning after cleaning the filter (I really wanted the kids to swim this weekend!)

So either Pool First Aid or freshly cleaned sand is *extremely* effective in clearing a cloudy pool! Unfortunately I don't know which was more important, but the rate of change from noon to 5 pm compared to the previous rate of improvement is astounding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.