Mismatched Pump/Filter/Pool combo?

Mar 25, 2013
Spring, Texas
My pool is an intex 16'x48'' (~5000gal) ultra frame. I picked up a Hayward S116T sand filter (1.4 sq/ft, 30gpm design flow rate) and Hayward SP1593 Power-Flo Matrix 1.5hp pump off craigslist for $125. they're both in great shape, the pump looks new. original owner upgraded pools and got all new equipment. I jumped on it as it seemed like a great deal, and now I'm wondering if it will be too much. I'm sure the filter isn't an issue, but is that way too much pump? I plan on adding a second return and in wall skimmer. In addition I will be putting in some sort of fountain to help with high Texas temperatures. Am I right in assuming I have too much pump?
Second question: I would like to run a pipe down the wall of the pool to direct one of the returns lower to stir up the water a little better. Are there any warnings against this or issues I should consider? I was thinking some sort of threaded coupler through the existing return hole, a down pipe on the inside of the pool with a 90 on the bottom so I could direct the flow.

Thank you for the amazing site. the last two years we had a ten foot easy set which we loved. I hadn't looked around and didn't know about this site.. I was a tri-chlor-tab-***** (sorry) and now realize why my water would stay clean for awhile then just turn to pea soup after a while. actually knowing what is happenening chemically is comforting and so much easier. BBB works for me!

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, your pump is a little too large for your pool, and your filter is too small. Used together the pump is way too large for the filter. Adding a fountain will improve things, but the pump will still be too large. Personally, I would replace the filter right away and deal with the pump later (unless your electric rates are really high).

Using the existing hole to mount a pipe that goes down towards the bottom is a little risky. The pipe can be bumped, which could tear the liner if moved too much/sharply. You should be able to find an aim-able jet that will screw onto your existing return fitting, which is safer and about as good as what you propose.

Thank you! The filter being too small threw me somewhat. At the design flow rate it would turn over my water in under three hours. Should I focus more on the filter area?

Regarding the pump, I am wondering if it is possible to split the flow prior to the filter (to a set of fountains) and use that to reduce the pressure in the filter? I would have to adjust valves to get the pressures balanced I'm sure, and obviously the time to turn over the water would change depending on the split ratio.. Not saying I plan on doing any of his, just trying to go through some thought experiments here..

another (probably dumb) idea... could you run a small paper filter (like the intex ones) after the sand filter to filter out smaller particles (not using its built in pump of course)? Strainer gets the big stuff, sand gets the small stuff, paper gets the really small stuff... seems like you wouldn't have to wash the paper filter as often as if it were by itself. again, just thinking out-loud here wondering what would happen... I promise I'm not trying to construct a Frankenstein filter system here. :evil:

Khaphora said:
The filter being too small threw me somewhat. At the design flow rate it would turn over my water in under three hours. Should I focus more on the filter area?
I agree the filter is not too small for your pool. We would recommend a minimum 1 sq. ft. and filter for your ~5700 gallon pool. My guess is Jason misread your pool size. His comment about your pump however is right on, it is way to big for that filter. Although it can kind of work to divert some of the flow (you should probably divert at least half to start), this can be challenging since as the filter become dirtier, less flow will choose that path and your filtering will become very inefficient unless you have means to adjust the back pressure (like slowly close a valve) on the fountain line. This will be problematic imo.

The prices were good, but the match to your pool was not, however you can try it and see how it goes. In the meantime, I might look for either a smaller pump or a bigger filter on CL. As a point or reference, I have the 1 hp version of the matrix with a 2.2 sq. ft. sand filter and I am right on the edge of being to big pump/to small filter as well. Since I have a 2-speed version of the Matrix, I end up doing most of my filtering on low.

Oh wow is that pump powerful! I hope this picture shows up! That's a one inch jet of water shooting 16 feet! (Our youngest is too short to stand up if we have the water above the return, so that's why it's airborne). Luckily I can turn it down by partially closing a ball valve for right now until I can sell this one and get a smaller one. I only paid $125 total for both items so no matter what I get for the pump I still feel good about the buy. The filter is doing great, 12psi on full so that's reasonable I suppose. Obvious suction hazard on full so no kids allowed while its on as is. I will add a second return and in wall skimmer to help. On the plus side the pump is actually very quiet (compared to the horizontal flo-jet). Oh.. I plumbed in a fountain but left the arms of the "t" unglued (caps were glued on) so I can properly drill out holes in the garage.. I forgot to turn off the ball valve to that part of the circuit and after a few seconds I had a foot long PVC rocket fire across the yard... Water pressure is fun! :)
So anyone in the houston area want to trade your puny pump for my super-manly jet engine?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 95
Looks like one of those fire hoses they fight skyscraper fires with!! :mrgreen: You may want to attach a pvc "turn down" pipe to keep the stream underwater (if the kids will let you!!). That much aeration in your pool will probably cause an annoying pH rise.

Khaphora lol that picture is hilarious. :laughblue: All I can say is Duck and Cover LOL. You might want to ensure anyone in close range be dressed in full protective gear cause I bet that massive stream has just a little bit of pressure behind it. One thing about it if you can get the stream to move around, you'll never have to worry about the top part of your liner ever needing scrubbing because the massive power washer will take care of it for you. :) Have a nice day. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.