Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Combined Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

High Combined Chlorine

I opened my pool last Saturday and the water was in pretty good shape upon opening. I've been running the filter 24/7 for a week now and it seems to be slowly improving, but it's still cloudy.

I just got back from the pool store and here are my numbers:

FC: 4.0
    CC: 4.1
    TC: 8.1
    PH: 7.3
    CH: 150
    TA: 107
    CYA: 10 (I've been adding CYA since Tuesday so this should be going up over the next few days as it dissolves in the pool)

So I know I need to get the CYA up since I'm running the SWG, but I'm a bit troubled by the CC number. Do I just keep the pool at shock level until that comes down to 0? This is my first year trying to do this BBB so your help is definitely apreciated.
    21' Doughboy AGP
    1HP Pump
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Hawyard H-150 Heater
    Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Yes, hold at shock level till CC goes to zero and the FC level remains steady overnight. For the initial increase in FC to shock level you should use bleach, or some other external chlorine source. It is fine to use the SWG to try and hold at shock level, but the initial increase needs to be rapid and a SWG isn't good at that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School