chlorine levels

You may or may not need to shock. You will know whether you need to when you get your new test kit. I mentioned shocking because I was confusing your thread with someone else who could not keep any chlorine in their pool. However, since you let your FC get down to 2.5, when it should never get below at least 9, it is very possible you will need to shock.

When I did half tap water it reads 80 and when I do all pool water it reads 100 so what is my cya? The pool store said it was 118 a week ago maybe pretty close. So I guess my question is now is it safe to swim with my chlorine levels that high? I was also advised when the pool was built last year not to drain because the liner would wrinkle. I will not drain untill fall so I guess I will try to work with high cya levels would it work if I drain in small amounts like 4 inches at a time maybe drain and refill 4 inches each week?

The water was at the 80 line or the 40 line when using the diluted sample?

If 80, then you have to double it and your CYA is closer to 160ppm.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Btw, you are safe to drain down as long as you leave about 1 foot of water in the shallow end without worrying about wrinkles. You can do shallower drains, but it will take more of them to reach the goal levels.

Yeahit was at 80 so it looks like its 160 I think I will try to drain in 4 inch incraments when the weather gets warm I usually have to top off quite a bit. in the meantime making sure not to use anything chemicals that put cya in water.so is it safe to swim with such high chlorine levels?

If you do not have a swg, then you want your cya level down to ~ 50ppm. For the typical pool that would take ~16 times doing the 4 inches. I would drain more to be done faster. If you drain half the first time, folowed by a 1/3 drain the average pool would be at ~ 50 ppm coming from 160 ppm cya.

Also realize that replacing water that evaporated will not lower the CYA. You have to remove the high CYA water.

In a typical pool, a 4" drain results in a 1/16th water replacement....meaning your CYA will decrease by 1/16th each time you drain. You will be draining all summer and never have your pool in a stable, predictable condition.

If your drain a foot, you will get roughly a 25% reduction each time and that will get your CYA down to a manageable;e level in a reasonable period. If it were my pool, I would drain 18" and get the CYA down and get a 38% reduction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could do one and post where your new cya level is. My guess if your pool has a typical deep end you will need about 5 cycles of 12" drains. I would still consider draining more. Draining 18" will likely do it in 3 cycles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.