Need advice on Ph/Alkalinity

Jun 25, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Hello everyone!

My husband and I just finished removing metal stains from our pool using ascorbic acid and following the advice from this forum. We first lowered the chlorine to 0 (there might have been 2 ppm at most in the pool), added polyquat 60 to prevent algae, set the filter to circulate, added the ascorbic acid, waited 30 min, and all of the stains were gone! It was amazing:) We then added metal sequestrant and set the pool back to filter. We have waited 24 hours and are in the process of rebalancing the pool water.

Alk = 60
PH = between 6.9-7.1

The pH is right where we need it to prevent the stains from coming back. We know to really watch the PH and to keep it at 7.0-7.2 to prevent the stains from coming back.

The problem is, do we need to raise the alkalinity? It is a bit low.

Can we start adding chlorine (we know to do this slowly and to watch for stains)!?

Any other advice?

Thank you all so much! :D

I wouldn't raise the TA until you see how your PH reacts to that level. Might be just right. I keep might a bit lower than the recommendations here. Just keep it checked.
And yes, add chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.