Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: which directions to use for TC

1. Back To Top    #1

which directions to use for TC

Just got done installing my Auto Pilot SWG, first things, totally easy install, I have it up and operating, after reading through the Monitoring and Maintenace portion of the manual, it say Free Chloring should be at 1.0-3.0 PPM along with your CYA at 60-80 PPM but according to TFP sticky by Chemgeek if I have 60 PPM of CYA my clorine should be min 4.4 and target should be 6.8 so which guidline is the best to use, it also states in the Auto pilot manual to much clorine in the pool will result in lower cell life. What everyones opion on this, what is a good all around FC reading to avoid Algae

Thanks

Dont know if I should start a new thread or not, Auto pilot directions also say I should add borates as well, just wondering pros and cons, I have had my pool for over 3yrs using BBB with no borates and no issues
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    The sticky has a footnote:

Most saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pools appear to prevent algae at a minimum FC level of 4.5% of the CYA level as compared with the roughly 7.5% of the CYA level shown in the "Min FC" column for manually dosed pools.
    So 3ppm is probably fine.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    With CYA between 60 and 80 and a SWG a FC level of 3 normally works well. I like to bump that up to 4 to make it trouble free. The little bit extra helps take care of major storms, sudden high bather load, etc.

Note that if you don't run your pump/SWG during the day the morning FC level needs to be higher so that the early evening FC level is still 3 or more.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks for the help John and Jason, I do run my pump in the day because of solar, todays, FC was at 5, so I am going to reduce my output from 50% to 40%.

Rob
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner