LED Floodlights - Not in Pool

May 24, 2009
NoVA
I'm currently using 2 500W halogen floodlights to illuminate the backyard around the patio & pool. These are the typical lights you can buy at HD for $30 or so. One's mounted on the house, the other on the shed. I use them a lot, so I'd like to find a solution that uses a bit less electricity.

Has anyone found an LED option that gives as much light as a 500W, or maybe a 300W, halogen flood? I've seen some online that might work, but they're pricey, so I'd like get some user feedback before spending the $$.

Thanks!

We bought 2 LED Flood lights at HomeDepot-$35.00 each. We replaced the 300watt flood lights in the drive and over the garage. They are on a motion sensor and the rabbits, deer, cats, fox, coyotes all make sure they stay on pretty much 24/7. We have had them for 4 months so far and they are more than bright enough to light up the area.
Well worth the money and the utility bill actually decreased. They won't give you stadium lighting effect if that's what you're looking for but are very bright.

not sure if you can find a 500w replacement but RAB lighting makes a 78w led that replaces a 250w and they make a pretty good product. im in electrical sales but dont do much lighting, leds are still in there infancy, there seems to be changes every week i'm holding off on going leds for awhile. you have to look at the lamp life on what ever floodlight your looking at, going off the top of my head Rabs led flood has a 100000hr life and a standard quartz bulb life might be 10000hrs at most. so buying 10 halogen bulbs should justify the cost. you can go online ane find a calculator on electic use but right now has rule it led use 1/3 of the energy so if you calculate it over the life of the bulb it makes sense. it's one of those those things that seems like your spending alot of money but in the long run you save money

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.