55 gallon drums of chlorine

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
Hey all. I am trying to figure out a way to not have to fight the stores during this pandemic for bleach. I have an immunocompromised toddler. I came across a 55 gallon drum for 190.00 of 12.5%. Is this feasible? I have a basement that I can keep it stored in and keep it cool (is that safe?). How do you get the chlorine out of the barrel daily? Thanks for the help. Moderator move this to appropriate location if misplaced in wrong forum.

Pump it out...

It should last you about 4 months and degrade some during that time.

How well ventilated is your basement?

Reactions: setsailsoon
Pump it out...

It should last you about 4 months and degrade some during that time.

How well ventilated is your basement?
Finished basement with a garage bay area. Has central heat and air. Would put it in garage bay. Stays in 60s in it.

I get one every year from my local chemical supply warehouse.
They usually cost me $150 delivered , but I haven't called yet this year.
The barrel I have buried in the ground is still testing good enough to use until it runs out.

Keep in mind that moving a full 55gal drum into the basement is not going to be easy.
A full drum weighs almost 500 lbs.
My thought exactly on the weight. Getting it out of the vehicle will be tough enough much less down some stairs or other...If he can get it delivered, I'd put it in the garage if it never exceed 60's in temp...make sure it's not in the line of any cars pulling in and do not keep any nice metal objects near it...when you pump it out make sure it's ventilated well. I'd pump about 3/4 gal into an old bleach bottle for easy dispensing...

My thought exactly on the weight. Getting it out of the vehicle will be tough enough much less down some stairs or other...If he can get it delivered, I'd put it in the garage if it never exceed 60's in temp...make sure it's not in the line of any cars pulling in and do not keep any nice metal objects near it...when you pump it out make sure it's ventilated well. I'd pump about 3/4 gal into an old bleach bottle for easy dispensing...
Found a local chemical sales. They delivered it and put it in my garage bay in the basement that stays in 60s year round. Such a relief! Also provided me a little pump ! I'm tickled!

Reactions: Ignoramus

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As mentioned previously do make sure you have arrangements to place the drum. Going down stairs with it loaded is a bear even for a pretty strong guy. Best would be to place it on a wheeled dolly that has locking wheels then pump it out as Allen suggested. You'll want at least 800 ppm for surface disinfectant. So dilute 10:1 then 10:1 again should get you 1200 ppm is probably OK. I've had several first responders asked me where to get liquid bleach for this purpose. A local doctor and the fire department are doing this now. The doctor gets bulk 21/2 gal refillable with the old jugs I used to use at my local Leslie's before switching to salt/swg. The FD gets bulk barrels. We've had no supply problems with bulk suppliers so far.

Be sure to remember this solution even if diluted down to 800 ppm will damage clothing and eyes plus can irritate skin.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: RonsPlc
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.