Advice requested for after the acid wash

Feb 18, 2013
Thank you all in advance for the advice, I am thrilled to have found this forum with all of its knowledgable members. The more I am learning about my pool care, the more apparent it is that the "professionals" in the pool stores are simply salesman. I am afraid to ask for their advice any longer.

Tomorrow I am having my pool completely drained, acid washed and lightly polished. The pool is just 3 years old, but has high calcium hardness, high CYA and high TDS. In addition, lots of staining and scaling. As I have come to not have much faith in the pros, I am doing my own start-up. I am a little nervous about it, so I want to run my plan by you to be sure I am tackling it correctly.

When mid-way full, add a Sequestrant
When full, test for the usual suspects, CH, TA, CYA (in case some comes in from filter, etc)
Adjust FC according to the amount of CYA
Adjust pH

My questions are:
Is this the correct order of additions? (I expect the TA to come in naturally where it should and CH will already be on the high side due to our water supply)
Is there any advantage to keeping the pH lower for the first couple of days?
How long should I run the pump for initially? My pool is approx 7800 gallons
Do I need to treat it like a new plaster job, ie brushing for plaster dust?
Can I use my kreepy krauly right away?

Thanks for the help!

With all fresh water the CYA level will be very close to zero. You might as well assume it is zero to start with.

You can measure the TA and CH levels of your fill water before filling up the pool.

After an acid wash, the plaster won't be freshly applied, so you don't need any special treatment of the PH, nor special brushing, etc. Nor do you need to run the pump extra, and can use the pool cleaner right away.

Generally after a full refill, you add 2 ppm of chlorine the first evening, and start adding CYA. If PH or TA is way out of range you will also need to adjust them. By the second day you can behave as if the CYA is present and add chlorine to your target level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.