How do Chemicals come into Solution?

Masspools

In The Industry
Jan 22, 2013
Cambridge Massachusetts
Hi All

When Adding Ascorbic Acid to a copper stain. The metal goes into solution.
What exactly is going "into solution." Does it combine with the molecule? And if it is into solution, what will take it out of solution and long can it stay.

My goal is to suspend the particles into solution long enough for CU-later bags to collect the metals.

All other convention methods have been done and have not worked.

The metals dissolve in the water, the same as salt dissolving. Technically, individual copper ions get mixed together with the water molecules.

Copper will tend to come out of solution and form stains again, especially at times even slightly elevated PH, unless you use sequestrant. Sequestrant binds to the copper and prevents it from forming stains. Unfortunately, sequestrant breaks down slowly, so you need to add more regularly.

Lowering the pH allows the metals to go into solution.......as you know, they are still there.

They will generally stay in solution as long as you keep the pH down. They will re-precipitate if the pH is allowed to come back up. Exactly how high pH has to get before the metals come out of solution is dependent on a number of factos and I think a definitive answer may be difficult.

CU-lator gets very sketchy reviews from folks on the forum that have tried it. Is water replacement a possibility?

Thanks for the reply.

The problem I have found is that the sequestration clouds the pool. I have had the pool down for a week clearing it up. The stain remained. I have to work from the back now. I am at a conference and protean mentioned there stain treat can be effective without lowering the chlorine and partially clouds the pool.
Another rep was showing me the CU later bags. I figured to add the ascorbic acid to the pool, (doesn't cloud) hold it in solution. Maintain PH by cat 2000 controller and put 10 bags in the pump to collect from main drain and skimmers.
If PH is stable at 7.5, and a Cat 2000 maintains the level will I have enough time to allow a bag to collect the metals.... Thoughts?

Sequestrant normally only clouds up the pool for a few days directly after the AA treatment, and sometimes not even that.

We have had only a few reports (mixed) about the metal capturing bags. We would love to hear more if you try them out.

If you aren't going to use sequestrant, keep the PH down around 7.2 to 7.3 to avoid any problems with stains returning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.