Pool Build in Socal moving full steam ahead!! DONE!!!

Re: Pool Build in Socal moving full steam ahead!!

Killerstang, it's looking awesome ! About those first party pic's if you become a lifetime supporter they have a VIP Lounge forum, know what I mean........ LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Killerstang - I just LOVE your pool design and finish selections. Looks beautiful! Would you mind sharing the specs on the stacked travertine that you selected? I want to check with my PB here in TX and possibly use on our build (we break ground next week!) Thanks!

sdpolk99 said:
Killerstang - I just LOVE your pool design and finish selections. Looks beautiful! Would you mind sharing the specs on the stacked travertine that you selected? I want to check with my PB here in TX and possibly use on our build (we break ground next week!) Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words.

The travertine natural ledger stone we used is a new product made by East West Stone. They had just brought the product into our local stone/ masonry supply. I do have newer pamphlet that has the stone in it, but their website doesn't have a picture. Our pool builder didn't charge us for the upgrade from the honey gold we originally picked, but we were told it runs about $7 - 8 per sq ft.

Pool is full!!

Pool took about 13 hours to fill using 2 hoses. After reading the meter, the pool is approximately 23,200 - 23,400 gallons. Now the landscaping can begin...

Anything I need to do for the next couple days? I think PB will be here on Monday to go through the care of the pool and to program the Easytouch 8.

1opv92.jpg

5zdytj.jpg

3-17-13

PB told me on Saturday after I filled the pool that he would be out on Monday to add the start up chemicals and to show me how to program the Easytouch 8. Of course, since I was doing some other projects around the pool, I decided to hit the "On" side of the panels breakers. Then I found a button that said waterfall.... oops... After vacuuming up some PVC shavings I found in the pump basket, I primed the pump then sealed the lid. I hit the switch, and shazaaaam!! Water Features!!

Pics below are the bubblers on the shelf and the waterfall... nice and tranquil!!

332xgko.jpg

zxw3zb.jpg

20a6z5z.jpg

It looks so nice! Congrats on a job well done! Can't wait to see the landscaping and last touches too! :cool:

How does the pup like it? :mrgreen:

Just found your thread and went through the whole process from the start....Nice, nice job! I too, love the travertine stacked stone you used. I'm filing that away for the next pool we build from scratch. Everything worked out so beautifully, and your whole build didn't take that long, nor did you run into any serious problems or delays. Congratulations!

:goodjob:

p.s. I picked the Verona tile too, but in the turquoise color and with the matching deco tiles installed about every 8 feet around the pool (120'). Glass trim tile on the steps and bench. I would have loved the look of all glass tile but man! that would have been way too expensive. I'm hoping I can get a little of the style by using some glass...we'll see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I must compliment you on a nice and timely build. My pool was dug and the gunite completed before you even broke ground on yours. I am sitting at home today waiting for pre plaster inspection in anticipation of plaster hopefully tomorrow. I am awestruck you did this whole project in less time it has taken me to just get plaster. A build with no hold ups is one to be envied!!!!! Congrats

jumpinjackieflash said:
Just found your thread and went through the whole process from the start....Nice, nice job! I too, love the travertine stacked stone you used. I'm filing that away for the next pool we build from scratch. Everything worked out so beautifully, and your whole build didn't take that long, nor did you run into any serious problems or delays. Congratulations!

:goodjob:

p.s. I picked the Verona tile too, but in the turquoise color and with the matching deco tiles installed about every 8 feet around the pool (120'). Glass trim tile on the steps and bench. I would have loved the look of all glass tile but man! that would have been way too expensive. I'm hoping I can get a little of the style by using some glass...we'll see.

Thanks for the kind works. I just looked through the NPT tile book to see your choice.. and I think it will look great. I also noticed how pricey the glass was, so I stayed away from it. The only thing I probably would have changed in tile, was to add a couple tiled turtle mosaics to the bottom. I've seen a few pools completed since my pool was started and loved how the mosaics came out. Maybe next time.

As far as pool builders go.. When I narrowed my choices to two different builders, I had one unbiased friend that was in the concrete business ask me who I was going with. He advised me that he does regular business with my PB and that his jobs were always on schedule and his jobsites were always kept professional. He also mentioned that he always "paid" his bills on time, which means that his business is doing well and he takes care of his commitments. That's what made me decide on Pool Concepts. In the end, I think I made the right choice.

Killer95Stang said:
Thanks for the kind works. I just looked through the NPT tile book to see your choice.. and I think it will look great. I also noticed how pricey the glass was, so I stayed away from it. The only thing I probably would have changed in tile, was to add a couple tiled turtle mosaics to the bottom. I've seen a few pools completed since my pool was started and loved how the mosaics came out. Maybe next time.

As far as pool builders go.. When I narrowed my choices to two different builders, I had one unbiased friend that was in the concrete business ask me who I was going with. He advised me that he does regular business with my PB and that his jobs were always on schedule and his jobsites were always kept professional. He also mentioned that he always "paid" his bills on time, which means that his business is doing well and he takes care of his commitments. That's what made me decide on Pool Concepts. In the end, I think I made the right choice.

Thanks! I was having that moment of doubt/fear/second-guessing earlier...Wondering if it really would look good, or if I'm crazy...But then, it's gotta look better than what we have right now! Two rows of dingy brownish-blue 2x3 tiles, tons of grout that's now gone grey...it's hideous. Those mosaics can also cost a fortune - I asked, and my project manager said one of any size can be close to a grand. With such a large pool, we'd have to get a larger one for it to make any impact, and I'd rather use that $1,000 on equipment upgrades or something a bit more practical. Just using the little glass squares as trim tile, I'm spending another $300 or so, and the deco tiles about the same amount. I just want it to be as nice as I can without going for totally over the top. As you say, maybe next time. If I had unlimited funds (and maybe a slightly smaller pool!) I'd mosaic the whole pool, bottom, sides and all. I love that look and you never have to replaster again.

Thanks for the info. on how you chose your builder...The company I went with for the rehab also does builds. I will evaluate them carefully as they do my relatively small job. A good friend had her pool resurfaced and re-tiled a few years ago, and she said they were great to work with. They still require the job to be finished and paid for before they sign a lien release, but I guess that's just a standard in the PB business. I really hate it that the homeowner is totally exposed for the debts of the PB or other contractor - that's patently unfair. Seems quite legally WRONG, frankly.

Wish me luck! They start tomorrow afternoon!

4-15-13 Updates

Figured I'd update build, since I have completed a few items since the pool was done.

- Removed all remnants of old lawn, tilled, killed and then added 6 cubic yards of 70/30% topsoil to prepare for the new SOD being laid next weekend. Not to mention multiple passes with a water filled roller. My wife was trooper during this phase and helped along with a couple friends from her work.
- Installed sprinkler system for lower lawn.
- Planted a few palm trees and cordiline plants. Will be adding some more plants for color in the next few weeks.
- Shoveled and carried 1.5 cubic yards of small bark mulch. We used 5 gallon buckets, since getting the wheel barrel up steps proved to be tricky. I'm still short about 6 cubic feet.
- Tilled and repaired front lawn. Mixed in good 70/30 topsoil and repaired broken sprinklers from the bobcat. Will be installing St. Augustine SOD to match undamaged lawn.

I still have to do the following items before summer.

- Get Salt System up and running (today)
- Build Pavilion style gazebo
- Drip system for upper planters
- Install Marathon SOD on lower lawn (800 sq ft.)
- Install St. Augustine SOD on front lawn to repair damaged areas (about 300sq ft)
- Plant more trees
- Build firepit and BBQ Island

awxg2f.jpg

29vlyec.jpg

2u3y0j8.jpg

Salt System Ready!
29wlpas.jpg

Bvo said:
What type of coping is that? Concrete?

Yes... It is poured in place colored concrete coping. After the concrete had set up, they applied an acid that gave it a textured finish. We originally were going with flagstone, but I got scared of the issues with salt water. In the end we are very happy with our choice, but I'm sure I would have been just as happy with flagstone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.