IntelliFlo Pump Questions

May 11, 2012
Danville, IN
I need some advice. My local pool company contacted me and offered to do an energy audit on my pool equipment. The result? They recommended I upgrade to an IntelliFlo VS 3050 from my current single speed pump. They estimate in my area, I could save about $800 annually, by running the new pump 24/7 - 15 hours at 1400 rpm and 9 hours at 2400 rpm - putting me at 2 turnovers per day for 25K gallons. This seems reasonable to me because we live in a rural area with lots of trees, so junk is always blowing into the pool. The cost - $1650 for the pump and installation after they took off $100 as an incentive. They also worked out a deal with Pentair to offer a written 3 year warranty if I have them install it. I'm sold on the idea of saving some money, then I started checking the internet.

First, I find I can buy the same pump from Amazon (for example) for about $900. Second, I see there are issues with the IntelliFlo pumps in that people are reporting them failing after 1-2 years due to condensation accumulating where the circuit board is located. Apparently there are no weep holes or anything to let the condensation to dissipate. Third, if the pump does fail it appears the customer service is lacking and it's very difficult to get the pump serviced. Finally, I see there is a IntelliFlo VF, which might be a better investment?

My questions:
Should I pony up the extra money and let the pool company do everything or do it myself?
What is the reliability of the Pentair IntelliFlo pumps and am I just seeing only the bad reviews? I currently have a Pentair SuperFlo that's been great.
Should I go with the VF over the VS? I prefer leaving it run 24/7 due to the windblown debris, as long as it switches speeds on it's own via programmed schedule.
Any other recommendations you have for me?

I don't have to do anything now, just trying to save as much money as I can. Thanks!

A much cheaper option would be to swap your current motor with a two speed. Over the life of the motor, it would probably save more money than the Intelliflo because the up front cost is much less.

Also, I seriously doubt your pool needs anywhere close to two turnovers. Most pools can get away with a lot less than that.

I think every $$ number they quoted you is exaggerated! How much do you run your current pump, and what is your electrical rate (per kW/h)? Generally, changing over to a 2-speed pump will save money over a single speed in all circumstances. Unless your rates are very high (~ >$0.20 per kW/h), you're better off just using a 2-speed. That installation price is outrageous.

In Indiana I doubt your rates are that high, so I'd look at a 2-speed pump.

So now I'm not feeling so bad... I really like my local pool owner, but as I've learned more from this site - I'm finding their way is not always the best way. Bottom line - it's my money, it's my pool, and I have to live with it every day. Something was not adding up for me and you guys just confirmed my feelings.

I will look into a two speed pump and do some research. Right now, I have a 1.5hp SuperFlo I run 24/7 from about Mar-Oct, mainly. As of our last bill, our rate is $0.10 per kW/h. Based on my 25K gallons, I'm estimating I turn over the pool water probably 3-4 times per day. I tried switching it on/off on a schedule last year, but that became cumbersome. I would love to have a pump that would switch automatically, so I'm hoping I can find a two-speed pump that would allow me to set the rpm's and schedule.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated!

I see there are issues with the IntelliFlo pumps in that people are reporting them failing after 1-2 years due to condensation accumulating where the circuit board is located.
This may be some regional issue, but I have been using the pumps since they came out, and have installed 100's, have not even called in a warranty on any of them.

if the pump does fail it appears the customer service is lacking and it's very difficult to get the pump serviced.
Again may be a regional thing, but I think they have the best warranty service out there. Good call center with decently trained people, local field techs, local warranty coordinators, all good.

Ok, jumping in here...Sorry :) but this thread is exactly what I am trying to find out more about;

I'm also interested in replacing my pump, as it was making a terrible noise at the end of last season and as the house is a rental, I cannot afford for the pump not to work reliably when I am not there. I also think that the pump lost it's prime for some time....no one knows for how long as the house was closed up for two weeks with no one to check the pool.

So, here's my layout:

I have a SWG pool, 90cubic metres, not heated,Sand filter with basic timer controls for main pump and booster pump for the polaris cleaner (the sort where you select the time by moving dip switches on a clock dial). I plan to install an Autopilot Digital in the spring as the current SWG has died. The pool runs from May - Oct inclusive.

I have been looking at the Intelliflo VS and VF (no idea which is more suitable), but this seems both expensive and unreliable according to reports, as per those posted by Mr Miller.

Can anyone suggest what I might replace my pump with to go with both the simple on/off control system that is currently in place and also the Autopilot Digital?

thanks!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.